General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Ignition Coil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Question Bad Ignition Coil?

I posted this on another forum and was recommended an ignition coil test. My throttle gets lazy often, especially with a hot engine. My gas mileage dropped and the exhaust will get much louder when I lose the power. No exhaust issue. You can look at my other threads if you're interested in more detail.

Heres the part I need to know about:

I did the test described in the FSM. I should mention my multimeter is fully functioning. I just used it for volts and ohms to calibrate my TPS.

It said to turn the ignition off and test the A (+) terminal and B (-) terminal then check A and the winding terminal.

First I checked with the ignition off. For both tests what would happen was I get a spike in ohms and then it would quickly drop to 0.

So although the FSM said ignition off, I turn it on (not with the engine on of course) and...

Set to 20 ohms I checked the points A and B. I got 1.2 ohms.
Set to 2k ohms, checked A and the winding terminal and could not get anything. 0.

I did this several times and would only get a reading from A and B with the ignition on.

This would mean that I would be having much more than acceleration problems right? Remember that my multimeter is fully functioning and I had it set on ohms.
It seems like the coils bad but what do you guys think?

Thanks

Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM

Problem solved. Nevermind.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Solved.....come on, you have to share.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 PM

haha,

ignition coil mustve been shorted out. My readings werent incorrect, 0 ohms showed too low resistance. The problems gotten better so far since I replaced the coil.
Im waiting for the ecu to adapt completely and see if the issue comes back.