General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Bad MPG....

Old 06-19-2012, 02:58 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Bad MPG....

Ok wasnt to sure where to put this but anyway....
So I have been noticing this car gets bad mpg... I had about half a tank yesterday and started calculating from there. Im about at 1/4 right now and I have driven 38 miles.... I changed the spark plugs prior to this (There was some autolites in there so I put some NGKs) and I have no idea why Im getting such bad mpg. The car does have an oil leak and I dont know if that would effect it any but if someone could give me some advice on what to do that would be great.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:02 AM

Is your Check Engine Light ON?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:05 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by jfidelh
Is your Check Engine Light ON?
Glad to see im not the only one up

But no its not. The only light that is on is the srs light. But the thing is with this car it doesnt have the cluster that its supposed to have. Which means that It doesnt have the Park Neutral and Drive lights so I dont know if it may be on an it just wont turn on or what. But gas is killing me right now and I dont think it should be with this car.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by 94ex915
Glad to see im not the only one up

But no its not. The only light that is on is the srs light. But the thing is with this car it doesnt have the cluster that its supposed to have. Which means that It doesnt have the Park Neutral and Drive lights so I dont know if it may be on an it just wont turn on or what. But gas is killing me right now and I dont think it should be with this car.
Lol, well it's 1:22 here so it's not too late.

It might be a possibility that the CEL isn't working. My old 94 accord had all kinds of problems and not once did my CEL come on.

You should try to figure out around how much MPG your car gets. Once your gas light lights up fill up. Put exactly (x amount) of gallons and reset your trip meter. Once it lights up again count your miles.

Also, do you drive like a mad man? Accelerated starts? speeding?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:31 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Lol, well it's 1:22 here so it's not too late.

It might be a possibility that the CEL isn't working. My old 94 accord had all kinds of problems and not once did my CEL come on.

You should try to figure out around how much MPG your car gets. Once your gas light lights up fill up. Put exactly (x amount) of gallons and reset your trip meter. Once it lights up again count your miles.

Also, do you drive like a mad man? Accelerated starts? speeding?
Well thats the thing. The gas light never lights up either. It has been way past E and has never lit up once. And normally drive only five over the speed limit but normally stay within the speed limit. I dont floor it or anything.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:34 AM

You should take it somewhere to see if they can pull any codes. It seems like your cluster wasn't even hooked up right. So there is a possibility your CEL isn't illuminating, but just because it isn't doesn't mean you don't have codes. Is there an autozone near you? Maybe they can run a free scan for you,

Also, when was the last time you replaced the air filter? that can help a little towards mpg.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:38 AM

By the way, do you fill up with Arco gasoline?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:43 AM
Almost A Senior Member

You should take it somewhere to see if they can pull any codes. It seems like your cluster wasn't even hooked up right. So there is a possibility your CEL isn't illuminating, but just because it isn't doesn't mean you don't have codes. Is there an autozone near you? Maybe they can run a free scan for you,

Also, when was the last time you replaced the air filter? that can help a little towards mpg.
Ya theres an autozone right down the street actually
Only had the car a year and havent changed the air filter but I did take a look at it and it looked pretty damn clean I was reading on another accord forum and a guy said "if AC is not working in your 95 accord, it could mean the clutch of the A/C compressor is seized and it would lower the gas mileage without throwing any CEL."
This car does not have a/c and I dont know if this could be the problem. Im going to take the car to autozone in the morning and hopefully there is a code for something that way I can fix it. No way this car can be doing that bad on gas...

Old 06-19-2012, 03:44 AM
Almost A Senior Member

By the way, do you fill up with Arco gasoline?
Arco?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by 94ex915
Ya theres an autozone right down the street actually
Only had the car a year and havent changed the air filter but I did take a look at it and it looked pretty damn clean I was reading on another accord forum and a guy said "if AC is not working in your 95 accord, it could mean the clutch of the A/C compressor is seized and it would lower the gas mileage without throwing any CEL."
This car does not have a/c and I dont know if this could be the problem. Im going to take the car to autozone in the morning and hopefully there is a code for something that way I can fix it. No way this car can be doing that bad on gas...
GREAT! Take it in the morning and tell them to pull the codes, make sure you write them down(if any) and post them on here.

My AC compressor is seized, but as long as there is no power to it then it stays in "neutral position" I guess would be called. Once you give it power the plate pulls in and you cant spin it.

In my opinion I don't think that would cause bad gas mileage,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad MPG....