General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancer shaft position

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Default Balancer shaft position

I can't find a "hole" to install a screwdriver-6mm.bolt-drillbit-pin,to locate the rear balancer shaft so I can get the belt back on.I've pulled the only 2 plugs I can see on the rear of engine w/10mm.allen socket and have nothing.
Right now,w/engine at TDC.,and all other gears in their proper position,I have the rear balancer gear w/the dot on the face of the gear straight up,and the small groove on the slinger looking plate behind it lined up w/a (looks like) a small pointer on the 3/4 circular plate that is bolted around this gear.Would this be proper?

Old 10-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Balancer shaft position

The access bolt head plug for installing the rear balance shaft pin is just to right of the hex-socket machine plug that you found. A little oil usually comes out when removed. You will need a 1/4" x 4" bolt or similar to pin the balance shaft. You may need to feel a bit to push the bolt all the way through the shaft.

I have a pdf file that shows pics of correct alignment. PM your email address and I'll forward to you.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:25 AM

Like I mentioned in the PM I sent you,I found that plug,but can locate the shaft at 2 different positions-180deg. apart.Why is there a (locating) dot on the gear if the procedure calls for pinning the shaft?

Old 10-19-2008, 12:26 PM

i hope you get a answer cause id like to know about this pin and shaft myself since my mech screwed up mine and swears its ok. vibrates at around 3k rpm. be sure to get this right before putting together
Frank Allen

Old 10-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

What year/engine are you changing the TB on? I will try to find a pic for you.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:20 PM

Your firewall, email, or service provider is probably deleting the pics I emailed.

Line up the dot on the balance shaft sprocket w/ the intersection on oil pump/engine cover at ~ 4’oclock position and insert bolt. Bolt should go through lower side of shaft and should penetrate about 3-inch. Based on diagram I see in Accord shop manual, the bolt will only penetrate 3” if aligned correctly. In fact it looks impossible to insert bolt 180 deg off, but perhaps so.

The reason for the dot on the sprocket is to allow removal of the balance shaftcover and reinstallation w/ correct engagement of sprocket drive gear w/ balance shaft end gear. There's an oring seal under the balance shaft cover that frequently needs replacing to fix dripping oil.

It might help to let us know what model accord we're discussing. It's same for 90-97 models.

good luck

Old 10-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a pic for a 95 accord. As TexasHonda said, the 90-97 are very similar.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5767/C8A0E3BCB93F440EBBF9B21F69FF9D26.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2008, 02:06 PM

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

What year/engine are you changing the TB on? I will try to find a pic for you.
I'm sorry..........it's a '92 DX,automatic trans. 4-door.Also wanted to mention,when lining up TDC marks,I did it w/front crank pully mark lined,cam sprocket marks in place,rotor button at #1,and #1 rockers loose/no tension.......but there's no mark on the flywheel-only on the flexplate,and it's off mark a bit compared to everything else.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

here is a link to show the dot/mark lines up with the casting boss;
Idon't know why this website dis-allows pictures;

http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010132la4.jpg

Old 10-19-2008, 06:58 PM

Line up the crankshaftprecisely toTDC using the timing belt drive sprocket mark. Then check the camshaft alignment on the cylinder head. It should be very close. If off by 1 lug or more, it should be repositioned.

Loosen the Tbelt by pushing the tensioner to slacken and locking slack w/ lock nut, pull the Tbelt off the camshaft sprocket, rotate the camshaft one lug or so as needed and reinstall the Tbelt onto camshaft sprocket. Release tensioner and go through normal belt tensioning procedure.

good luck

Quick Reply: Balancer shaft position