General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang noise near padels and footrest, scary

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 03:25 AM
Default Bang noise near padels and footrest, scary

Hi Gurus,
Problem again with my 95 accord EXI CD5 Auto Trans(Australia)

from stop to acceleration or brake stop there is one bang noise coming feels like just underneath where the pedals (brake, acceleration) are. it is more in a steep or downhill. i have recently change out CV boots but when i looked at, the inner CV boot one end is leaking grease and driver side transmission housing is full of tiny scattered grease. i am so scared didnt drive my car to work. what it could be? did something broke? btw, i cant go underneath the car. Pls advice needed.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:07 AM

The first thing I would Check is the sub frame to see if it loose.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:43 AM

It could be that when the axles were removed one of inner cv's was not properly installed back into the transmission. Either way if you are unable to get under the car you need to get it into a shop to have it looked at. It might be as simple as reseating an axle, plus the boot that is leaking grease needs to be dealt with. It could also be that there is an issue with the spider on the inner joint.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

CV axle must be fixed; either re-lubing w/ new strap seal or replace axle. Loss of grease means it won't last.

Noise could be axle related or less likely, a broken motor mount.

good luck

Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 PM

Thanks Guys for your kind advice
will take the car tomorrow to shops. is it better to change the whole axle rather than boot? cost is almost same with refurbished axle.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:53 AM

If original axle is Honda OEM, then might be worth keeping if in good condition, however liklihood of these being original axles is low. Do some reading here on OEM vs. aftermarket to get a feel for your own comfort level. Aftermarket are definitely cheaper, but quality can be problematic.

good luck

Old 01-21-2015, 05:32 PM

As stated above keep them if they are good. I have almost 300k on the original axles on my 95. Just change the boots at first sign of cracking prior to splitting.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 PM

My bad ! My bad !! My bad!!!
six months ago i brought the car to Honda dealer for a noise in the passenger side wheel (LHS). the there is a loose metal noise. so Honda mechanics told me all the bushing and shock absorbers are worn. replacing this would cost me thousands of bucks. i came home, took a deep breath and order hyperflex polyurethane bushing kit from USA. i went to my mechanic, he urged not to fit them instead of original bushing. i didn't listen. went to a strut shop and they had two novice mechanic. they said they will replace both the strut and all bushing. they quoted me much less than i expected. they did the job. noise was still there and didn't improve anything. they didnt give me any receipt.

because of the new bang noise,i took the car to my mechanic. he found out passenger side SA spring was upside down, driver side strut was loose, moreover there is a link rod (i don't know what does it called) from control ar to goes near rediator and at that end there is a round bushing. that round bushing fall off. so when i accelerate to brake the rod moves forward and backward and creates bang noise. why did i change OEM bushing to polyurethane? as honda mechanic said "ALL BUSHING" worn out ! pulling my hair now.

anyway, passenger side has still noise, my mechanic told me out of four wheel bolts two of them has no thread left. among them one thread is short. how can i solve this? mechanic once replaced the brake rotor and it was a big job. could my gurus give any suggestion how this could be resolved with minimal expenses.

huhh! bushing !

Old 01-22-2015, 07:21 PM

the fallen off rubber bushing i am referring to previous reply is called 'Radius rod' (i learned it from manual). and my firm believe is mechanics doesnt know anything. my car traveled 3/4 different shops and all of them said 'Radius rods' are different in both sides in my car and they has to be same. but Google told me they are different.

here different i mean that driver side had more bent than the passenger side. is it true? is there any problem in the 'Radius Rod'? should they be identical or they differ from each other?

Old 01-23-2015, 09:51 AM

I see no evidence in shop manual that radius rods vary from drivers to pax side of car.

good luck

Quick Reply: Bang noise near padels and footrest, scary