General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

barn find

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Default barn find

Hey, so i'm somewhat new to the world of Honda's. I picked up an '86 Accord LX sedan (carburetor) i found in a barn, has been sitting for 4 years 225,000 miles. I oiled the cylinders and charged the battery and it started right up. I have been driving for about a week but upon cold start it doesnt want to idle and when it gets to temperature it idles too fast? Since then I've put new plugs and fuel filters in it but no help. I sprayed the carb down with cleaner, dicked around with the choke and still nothing seems to help. I'm very confused. Please help?

Last edited by Accordian81; 11-28-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: relaying more information
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

These seem to have an issue with the fast idle unloader.....some clean the orfice and things get better.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 PM

It doesnt go into a fast idle, it just kind of chugs until normal operating temp? Then upon normal temp the throttle doesnt go go all the way back against the idler screw, but the throttle cable has some slack. I dont know if its just gummed up or what? Your thoughts? Thanks.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Again, the fast idle unloader is a vac controlled...."port/dashpot/pulloff" (it is late). Let me guess....cold it chuggs and black smoke (rich) comes out the tail pipe....then once the plugs burn off the extra gas...it idles around 2~2.5K rpm's.....you tap the gas a time or two....it might idle down or it might hang even higher - lets say 3K now. Finally after it gets warm and you tap the gas pedal a few times it will finally drop to normal idle rpm's.

Then last...on COLD days, you turn the car off to go into a store.....five minutes later you come out, start the car and the rpm's jump to ~3K.

Am I close?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 PM

Yeah thats pretty close! Dang your pretty good at this But anyways, it does seem to run rich when its cold(not too much black smoke, but you can tell its rich), and yeah after normal temp and short stop to the store it revs up real high upon start up, but does come back down. Are these cold temp and normal temp problems the same issue or different and what is my diagnosis Doctor?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

I try to help and I get lucky every now and then , I'm pretty good at gussing some times

Since the car sat for some time that is in play here....then again we don't know if the issue was there when it was parked....hummm

Step one, see this thread and go to the one titled Online Shop Manuals:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...threads-40780/

As some of this is hard to type about.....I like pic's. There is a test for/on the fast idle unloader that needs to be done.....yes, I'm jumping over a few other tests.

I'm also assuming the PO didn't let someone rig things up......Have you pulled the air cleaner base and inspected the vac lines (yes there are a few of them...understatement) for any that are damaged/missing/plugged/ect? Ever seen what mice or other things chew on....

Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

And to add, you might also search for sim issues on carb models (pretty much 3rd gens -86-89) with posts from Hondadude in it.........I wish he was able to post more often

Old 12-02-2012, 06:12 PM

So yeah i pulled the base off and there are 2 vac lines that are not attached to anything just to the left of the throttle assembly. So i dont know if something is missing? Im not sure how to upload pics? So i guess i could use some help there too please?

Old 12-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

When you post a reply, click the button "Go Advanced". Then there's something about "manage attachments" & that's where you upload photos from your computer.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

If you can't get a pic to load...watch the size, might have to use photoshop or something to compress.......the OE vac lines have numbers on them. Can you give the numbers and a bit better description of the location(s) and I might be able to "back into" which ones we are talking about.

Please do not take this the wrong way I want to help.....but the left side of cars in the the US is the drivers side, that is why they are considered Left Hand Drive. So when I describe a car I try to use the two together....left/drivers side or right/pass side....again I'm closing my eyes and trying to remember the set up on these and my concerns are with vac lines on the right/pass side of the car......can't think of any on left/drivers side that would cause the idle issue.

Just for giggles....what happens if you plug those two vac lines? Or are they plugged already?