General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery, Brake, Doors Open, Lights all ON

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:26 AM
hrhcsh
Unregistered
Default Battery, Brake, Doors Open, Lights all ON

2001 Honda Accord EX 6cyl.
The Maint. Req'd light blinks on start up then goes off.

The brake light, battery light, and all the door open lights stay on.

I have bled the brakes and checked the pads and the fluid resivoir. all OK. The pedal seems like it goes too far down when braking. I think it should be a little firmer.

Checked the Battery voltage 12.46v. Rechecked the voltage with the engine running and it was 12.13. with the AC on it was 11.95.
All brake and turn signal lights are working. Everything happened all at once.
Thanks
Howard

Old 07-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Default RE: Battery, Brake, Doors Open, Lights all ON

The maint required light may not be related. It doesn't mean anything is wrong - it is set to turn on after a certain number of miles since it has been reset.
I hate to tell you this, but it sounds like your alternator is going out. Based on similar posts from people whose alternators failed. Do you have a Haynes manual? It should tell you the specifications on the battery voltage. Hopefully one of our trusty Honda professionals will get on here and tell you how to diagnose whether or not the alternator is bad. You could drive your car down to AutoZone or Advance and ask them to test the battery and alternator for you as well, but it looks like you know how to do that yourself.
Good luck.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Recheck your voltage with the engine running. Try turning on headlights, ventilation blower, & rear window defogger. What happens then? Also maybe hold the engine rpm up to 2500 or 3000 & measuring again.

Reason...
Honda has a system where the ECU can tell the alternator to shut down if it's idling, and there's no big load measured by the ELD, and the voltage is good. By turning on these electrical loads you're forcing the alternator to become active.

If it doesn't help, then you have to figure out whether it's a bad alternator or that shutoff system is farbed up.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:50 PM
hrhcsh
Unregistered

OK... I've done a re-check
OFF = 12.37v ( lower than original check by .09v)
IDLE = 12.17v( higher than original check by .04v)
At IDLE with LOAD 11.77v ( lower, but I turned on more stuff )
Racing the engine up 2000-2500rpm there was no change. Hmmmmm ? Alternator ? or that shut off System?
Howard
2001 Accord EX V6

Old 07-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Put an alternator on it.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah. Sounds like alternator.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:29 PM
hrhcsh
Unregistered

Changed the Alternator ... ALL lights back to normal including Brake light.
Thought I was going to have to pull the engine to get the alternator out. Either that or remove the radiator and fan assy.
After un bolting the Power Steering resivior and pushing out of the way, and taking the bolts off of the timing belt cover to where it could be moved to give me a little more room,I was able to wiggle the POS out and get the new one back in.
Thanks to everyone for your responses.
Howard
2001 Accord EX V6

Old 12-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Thumbs down

Hi i'm having exactly the same problem with all the lights coming on but there is also a weird electrical whirrling noice coming from the engine. Strangly after driving the car 30 mins to have someone look at it the lights went off, came back on within a min then went off and have stayed off, however the strange whirrling noice is still there. Followin instructions here we checked the battery at two diff shops, its fine so move on to the alternator but its charging the battery just fine as the battery volts go up. Now heres the really strange part we put in a new battery ( brand new never used) and the sound goes
Away at idle, put the other battery tested at two shops and told was fine and the noise comes back....

So at current state "shop tested batttery" in car, still making whirrling noise , no check batterry, break , doorlights anymore but all the sudden the SRS is coming on and off?!?!

Any suggestions before i go to honda and waste my money( ps i bought a new alternator and its sitting in my trunk and the car was at honda 2 weeks ago and got that seatbelt sensory replace)

Old 12-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by *westerngal*
Hi i'm having exactly the same problem with all the lights coming on but there is also a weird electrical whirrling noice coming from the engine. Strangly after driving the car 30 mins to have someone look at it the lights went off, came back on within a min then went off and have stayed off, however the strange whirrling noice is still there. Followin instructions here we checked the battery at two diff shops, its fine so move on to the alternator but its charging the battery just fine as the battery volts go up. Now heres the really strange part we put in a new battery ( brand new never used) and the sound goes
Away at idle, put the other battery tested at two shops and told was fine and the noise comes back....

So at current state "shop tested batttery" in car, still making whirrling noise , no check batterry, break , doorlights anymore but all the sudden the SRS is coming on and off?!?!

Any suggestions before i go to honda and waste my money( ps i bought a new alternator and its sitting in my trunk and the car was at honda 2 weeks ago and got that seatbelt sensory replace)
What year, model, cylinders, is your car? Sounds like the alternator though.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:50 PM

Same as the other one but a 2000

So its a 2000 accord v6 2 door 128000 kms on it ( which seems low to have this kund of a prob)

Quick Reply: Battery, Brake, Doors Open, Lights all ON