General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

battery dying, jumper cable from battery to ac compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default battery dying, jumper cable from battery to ac compressor

Here is the story, my ac wasnt blowing out cold air anymore, i thought it just needed some more freon or coolant whatver, i bought a can took it to my shop i always go to, the guy couldnt get it cold, he then thought there was a problem in the controls so he looked behind the dash, he found nothing, then they said i need a new ac compressor, i didnt get it fixed, they wanted 400, i recently was going to buy a new ac compressor and was on my way in advance autoparts, a guy outside heard me talking about it and said i can help u, he told me to buy two cans of coolant and he would help, he said my ac compressor was fine, he somehow checked it as well as my altenator, he said they both were fine, he put the coolant in and my air is cold and has been cold for 3 days now, he did it on sunday, but monday morning i went to start my car up and nothing, i gave it a hotshot it started right away and i drove it for about an hour or so, when i got back home i cut the car off, and restarted it several times, it restarted each time, came back like 3 hours later it still started, left it over night and came back and it wont start again. he put a jumper from my positive lead on my battery to the plug on my ac compressor, why did he do this and y is it killing my battery. I havent tried to jump start it again yet. What am i to do?

Old 07-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

W/ that arrangement the compressor runs full time, and never is cut off, even when keyswitch is off. Disconnect the wire from battery to clutch to prevent battery rundown.

The problem w/ this arrangement is when you cut the heater blower off and AC switch off, the compressor will continue to run. This could cause problems w/ compressor (liquid return to compressor possibly).

You need to fix the reason the compressor was not engaging; AC relay, AC switch, ac pressure switch, etc.

good luck

Old 07-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

so u r saying there is something wrong with my ac compressor, it wont engage and that is y he put the wire on there to the battery o help engage it, what can i do to fix it, ive read that sometime it can be fixed also, couldnt i just leave the wire on there and when i turn my car off for a long time just disconnect the jumper and reconnect it b4 i drive. also my antifreeze was very hot and smoke was coming from the reservoir bottle. thanks so much for the help and advice

Old 07-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

What year accord are you driving? Do you have a volt meter?

What TexasHonda is saying, is that your compressor is constantly turned on. If you shut off the a/c inside the car, the compressor still runs, because you bypassed the a/c wiring. That could damage the compressor eventually. The problem with your car is that the stock wiring is not sending power to the compressor. There may be other things wrong.

Lets diagnose this properly. Disconnect that jumper wire from the compressor and get the compressor back to stock wiring. Start the car and turn on the a/c. Do both radiator fans run?

Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It's funny u ask about the fans cuz my ca just started overheating. When I disconnected the jumper from the battery on the compressor end and turn on my air only one fan was working. So it could b the fuse or that side of the fan I guess? What should I check. I re Also I have 1996 Honda accord and I can get a voltmeter. I replaced the fans a few years back like 3 if I'm not mistaken.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Which fan is not turning on, the driver's or passenger's side? Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder accord?

Is the a/c compressor clutch plate spinning with the a/c compressor pulley when you turn on the a/c? My guess is know, since the compressor was hard wired.

Unplug the fan that is not working and unplug the electrical connection to the compressor. Start the car and turn on the a/c. See if you get 12V across the two pins for the non-working fan. Also see if you get 12V between the one-wire a/c compressor connector and body ground (use a valve cover bolt).

Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thx so much for all the help guys. I believe it is the drivers side fan that didn't spin. And I have a 4 cylinder. I'll try the testingwith the multimeter tomorrow afternoon and post back afterwards. Thx again for all the help so far

Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen this some where.....

Old 07-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

What exactly am i doing to test the ac compressor connector? Putting one lead in a certain side of the connector and the other lead on a piece of metal for the ground. I haven't had a chance to look at the connector yet and will probably understand when I c it but i just want a heads up b4 I go and test it. Thx in advance again guys

Old 07-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Your're confirming that 12V is not available at the AC compressor connector to drive the clutch.

Also check at the AC relay (on front driver's side of radiator).

Download a manual from Online Manuals links in DIY forum if you don't have a manual.

good luck

Quick Reply: battery dying, jumper cable from battery to ac compressor