General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

battery light is on

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Default battery light is on

Hello folks, I have a few questions I hope you can help me with, I have a 95 2 dr Accord LX, the battery went dead over the last week. I got a new battery today for it, I used a jump box to start the car to bring it up the driveway to the garage, after the jump box the battery light is on and the head lights will not change between high and low beam but the dash indicator light showes up and the interior light has blown and it seems like the lights are extra bright, it blew both my high beam bulbs. I pulled the neg side cable while the car was running

Have I jacked it up bad?

Thanks in advance for thr help!
Roy

Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

why did/would you pull the batt cable while it was running?

Old 10-18-2012, 03:12 PM

It was a way my dad showed me when I was kid of checking to see if the alt was charging, if the car died thrn it was toast, who bad have I jacked it up?

Old 10-18-2012, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Back in the day, that was a good test to see if the alternator was working. Then some clown decided it was a good idea to put computers in to control the cars... :P

Today removing the battery cable is a good way to fry the engine-control computers. Not every time, not even 50% of the time. But it does happen.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:31 PM

got to love those clowns, thanks I wont make that mistake again!!!! Would the alt overcharge the electrical system?

Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

electricity takes the path of least resistance...always.....when you removed it's only way to get back to the battery it went through the circuits that allowed it to find the ground with the least resistance. good news is those circuits will be ez to find now....just check to see what fuses are blown and systems aren't working

Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Not exactly...

Your voltage regulator tries to hold 14 volts as the alternator runs. But it's not perfect. The battery acts like a big capacitor, evening out any momentary voltage spikes.

The voltage spikes aren't THAT big, so normal stuff like window motors and headlights have no problem with them. But not the engine-control computers. Probably won't blow any fuses. But if it hurts the controllers, it might be subtle or it might not show up right away.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:06 AM

is there a way to pull any codes up to see if there are any underlying issiues? if the voltage reg was bad would it cause the overvoltage i was experincing before I pulled the battery lead?

Old 10-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

A bad voltage regulator can cause the high voltage, if thats what you had before. It would've been better to take a voltmeter & measure the voltage while the car was running.

That won't throw any error codes in a 1995, they only had codes for engine/emmissions problems.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
A bad voltage regulator can cause the high voltage, if thats what you had before. It would've been better to take a voltmeter & measure the voltage while the car was running.

That won't throw any error codes in a 1995, they only had codes for engine/emmissions problems.

Thanks again for the Help!!!

Quick Reply: battery light is on