General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Best replacement starter

Old 03-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Best replacement starter

greetings
I had my starter replaced on my 2004 accord 2 years ago. Now this starter is starting to go. I got it at Auto Zone. Question is: what is the best brand of starter for my car. I did on-line research and saw good reviews on Denso starters. Advice is appreciated!!!!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:37 PM

I had fun starter issues...
Really what happens is that the starters you buy are reconstructed. So the one you bought was just not too good in the first place. They should replace it for free. If not go with denso. Hondas love denso anything. But make sure you return the core for the core charge.
My starter was from advance auto. I had to replace it again but through them I got the replacement free. Even changed it in the parking lot. The new one has been doin fine. You should check fornother causes like grounds and both wires to the starter to begin wih.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

From my own experience, sometimes the best replacement starter is to have the original starter rebuilt.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

problem is, I don't have my receipt so I can't return it

Old 03-30-2013, 06:47 PM

Thy didnt take down your phone number?

Old 03-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by RobinsonRicer
Thy didnt take down your phone number?
Didn't think of that, but.... how do I know I can trust any starter I get there?

Old 03-31-2013, 03:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by RobinsonRicer
I had fun starter issues...
Really what happens is that the starters you buy are reconstructed. So the one you bought was just not too good in the first place. They should replace it for free. If not go with denso. Hondas love denso anything. But make sure you return the core for the core charge.
My starter was from advance auto. I had to replace it again but through them I got the replacement free. Even changed it in the parking lot. The new one has been doin fine. You should check fornother causes like grounds and both wires to the starter to begin wih.

What brand of starter did you get at Advance Auto?

Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

I personally don't like the autozone "duralast" parts, but thats my personal opinion.

Denso is good, but Bosch or Beck wouldn't be bad either.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Well, IF (big IF) Autozone has a record, say a credit-card transaction, then a replacement would be free. Can't completely ignore that cost-savings. If they can't look it up, then you can say "thanks, good bye" and then choose something else.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 PM

They usually have the records if you give them your number and name, they put you in the system. That serves as a receipt.

I never really thought of it but to me the brand of the starter never mattered since theyre reconstructed. Paying $120 for a starter from a reputable store, its only in use to start the car and as long as it turns to start the engine its good enough. Bottom line is that all starters will be a risk as most are reconstructed. Majority of the time they dont go bad so quick after being rebuilt.

Are you so sure its the starter though? And not the connections or even the battery?

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 03-31-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best replacement starter