General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BG products sepcifically MOA and 109

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Question BG products sepcifically MOA and 109

Hello haf.

I was looking for additives that could help my engine get cleaner, as I was surfing the net I bumprd into BG products (MOA and 109). BG claims that the MOA help the engine run woth friction while the 109 claims that it'll help into the engine compression and clean the engine.

Question is, are they any good? Has anyone here in haf have used these products? I am not trying to promote the brand i just wanted to know if they are safe to our engines and of they are any good.

1996 accord 4cyl lx

Thanks in advance HAF

Old 09-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Debate!

Look, we all have our "thing". I like SeaFoam, someone else will swear by something else. I use this brand of oil and someone else would never use it.

So if you are trying to solve "something" and your reasearch tells you to use X, go for it.

You'll get 30 different answers from 100 people. So at the end of the day it is your call.

Please don't take any of this the wrong way Just saying we all have our opinions when it comes to this kind of thing.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

BG branded products are very reputable, and used to only be available to the professionals. If they have something that you can pick-up cheap then go for it. But if you have an issue with the motor, speak now or forever hold your peace I, like poorman have put alot of faith in the Seafoam line of products... my .02

Old 09-03-2012, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the replies.

My car's engine dont have any engine Issues as of date, smooth idle, fires up one start. Trans is good too, passed smog check one time.

I just want to perhaps make the engine cleaner, i just got the car 3months ago and i want the car to last longer. Mileage is 183400miles. And maybe with these products it will help aid to get the engine last longer.

I heard about this seafoam product, but im not sure of it since all the videos i wathced with using seafoam creates a white smoke after which scares me. So i got the bg44k but its pricier than the seafoam, but if seafoam is good and safe then i might swith to seafoam instead.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Use what you are comfortable with and be happy

Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Stirring the pot a bit...

Then there are those of us who swear by..., NOTHING!

Use the recommended grade of fuel and recommended grade of oil and be happy; as long as you keep up the *recommended* maintenance, you should be good to go.

I will say one other thing (just one, I promise); I've wrenched on many-many engines, and while this isn't universally true, I have found that the intake systems downstream of the point of entry for the PCV system is typically much cleaner when the vehicle uses synthetic oil.

Is this because the oil vapors coming through the system continually wash the intake with minute amounts of high detergent oil? Possible, but I doubt it.

Is it because synthetic oil is much more stable than conventional oil and as such, fewer oil vapors make their way into the intake in the first place? Can't prove it either way, but the latter would get my vote.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

It may also be that synthetic oil behaves differently at the rings. Better sealing at the rings, leading to less blow-by, in turn less air blowing reverse through the crankcase vent.

But also, anyone who uses synthetic oil might also just take better care with overall maintenance, leading to less blowby, less backflow in the crankcase vent.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
It may also be that synthetic oil behaves differently at the rings. Better sealing at the rings, leading to less blow-by, in turn less air blowing reverse through the crankcase vent.

But also, anyone who uses synthetic oil might also just take better care with overall maintenance, leading to less blowby, less backflow in the crankcase vent.
Unless you're someone like me who typically runs ten to twelve thousand mile oil change intervals with synthetic oil. That said, I have had a number of UOAs performed and that seems to be about the limit before the oil gets too low in additives and before the grade is no longer in spec.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

I was also thinking that even within the "lifespan" of synthetic, it might have less volatiles coming out & condensing in the intake tube. That's different than the "additives" being used up. I don't know engine-oil-chemistry all that well, so I'm kinda guessing here. Trying to think of plausible reasons why you observe cleaner intake tubes in some cars.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I was also thinking that even within the "lifespan" of synthetic, it might have less volatiles coming out & condensing in the intake tube. That's different than the "additives" being used up. I don't know engine-oil-chemistry all that well, so I'm kinda guessing here. Trying to think of plausible reasons why you observe cleaner intake tubes in some cars.
Sorry if what I wrote was confusing; I wasn't trying to correlate the reduction in additives to the vaporization of the oil. More to the point, I "suspect" (not as strong a word as "believe") the reason the blow-by gasses are, ummm, for lack of a better term, "cleaner", is due to the lower volatility of the oil.

The only reason why I mentioned the reduction in the additive package is because I typically run my oil a long-long time between changes so I probably don't qualify as one of those folks you referred to as "taking better care of their cars".

The above said, I had to pull the heads off of one of our family minivans a few years back in search of an elusive coolant leak into the engine oil (the leak ended up being elsewhere in the engine and was getting past a $.10 "O" ring, but that's another story); the engine in question had nearly 145,000 miles on the clock at the time and had only had roughly 13 oil changes since new. In spite of the long duration oil changes (I was using Mobil 1, for better or for worse), I discovered the factory honing marks on all six cylinder walls and a reasonably clean intake track. Not too shabby.

Quick Reply: BG products sepcifically MOA and 109