General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blah Blah Blah...headlight out, air con doesnt work and other such problems...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Default Blah Blah Blah...headlight out, air con doesnt work and other such problems...

Now that I had my car fixed for the major problem it had. ( thanks to all of you that helped me with that ), its time to fix the little stuff...
First of all: I just found out that the headlight on the right side of the car needs replacing. Anyone know where I can go and get it replaced ?

2nd: the air conditioner doesnt work...now normally i wouldnt care but i just found out how hot it can get here in Texas, so I need to fix that little issue. btw: when I turn it on, it just blows hot air.

3rd: the passenger side seatbelt is not moving at all. well, not much of a problem for me, but for my passengers it is....

and last but not least: does anyone know of a product that really cleans up messes? my friend spilled some coca cola on the seat and now i cant take the stain out.

much thanks!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

For the easy stuff:

1. The seat belt on the accords has a lifetime warranty. Call a dealership nearby to verify.

2. If the headlight bulb needs replaced, just pick on up at an autoparts store like autozone. Unplug the connector to the bulb. I'm not sure how the bulb is held in on a 91 accord. On the 94-97, there is a plastic piece that you have to allow the tabs of the bulb to release it.

You should probably pick up a Haynes manual at the parts store. It has info to do the basic jobs. Any shop will do the job. It won't take a mechanic long to do that.

3. The a/c can have problems for multiple reasons. Here are the first two simple tests to try.

With the a/c off, does changing the temperature **** actually change the temperature from the vents?

When you turn on the a/c, both radiator fans should turn on. Also, the a/c compressor clutch should engage the compressor pulley. The clutch is the metal plate that sits outside of the compressor pulley. It will not spin when the a/c is off. It should spin with the pulley when you turn the a/c on. You may need a flashlight to see the plate easier.

Let us know what you find.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:41 AM

When I turn the A/C on and change the temp ****, it varies from warm to extremely hot. When I first turn it on though, it blows cold air for like 2 seconds.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

any updates? I am having this same issue on my 03

Old 06-27-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You should probably pick up a Haynes manual at the parts store. It has info to do the basic jobs.
This is the piece of advice you must follow, or you will be forever at the mercy of someone else to fix your car. Many repairs on your car are very easy, so, if you can read, you can fix and save money.

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

According to my 1990-93 Hanyes manual, you might have to remove the battery (if you remove battery, make sure you have the activation code for your radio if it has one. My car doesnt) and coolant tank. I think if there is enough space, you might not have to remove the battery or coolant tank. After that there should be the bulb holder, I think a brown color. Twist it counterclockwise and pull out. Then just pull out the bulb and replace it. Installation will be reverse of removal.

For your coke stain, use any Carpet and Upholstery Stain Remover. That should do the work. I get mine at autozone/kragen/pep boys.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by kellysa111
When I turn the A/C on and change the temp ****, it varies from warm to extremely hot. When I first turn it on though, it blows cold air for like 2 seconds.
Cold air for 2 secs suggests several possible faults, all electrical; first would be a weak compressor relay that is opening after initial closure, a faulty hi/lo pressure cut-out switch could also cause this problem, or a failing AC switch on the ac/heater control panel. If you have a volt-ohm meter, you can trace the problem. If not, or you don't feel comfortable w/ the job, you'll need an AC tech to diagnose and repair.

Somewhere in the AC compressor control circuit, an open is likely developing that is preventing compressor from engaging. You need to trace to find the fault. Some help to turn AC On/off repeated while you diagnose would be helpful.

good luck

Old 06-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Am I correct in these statements:

1) If you are out of freon, the compressor's clutch will not engage, due to a switch on the compressor.
2) If you are out of freon, it's due to a leak.

If either are correct, what's the likelihood that I'll be ok with buying acheap can of rf134 from AutoZone, and filling? Obviously depending on the size of the leak it'd leak out faster or slower - but does this cause any issues with say the compressor? Like, I know it's lubricated in the lines, would i potentially lose all that and damage it? I think it's best to fix, but the budget right now is really tight :S

Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The answer to both your questions is yes.

However these points are inconsistent w/ your earlier statement "it blows cold air for like 2 seconds". If that statement is correct, it is not empty of refrigerant. Technically R134a is not freon, but Suva, the Dow tradename. Most use "freon" for all refrigerants, however freon is R12, not R134a.

You might get lucky w/ a recharge, if it's simply low. However, the symptoms you described above are inconsistent w/ low charge level. W/ charge level that would disable the compressor for low pressure, there would be no cooling at any time. An overcharged system, might cool slightly for a few secs before cut-off due to high pressure. Same switch that cuts off for low pressure also will disable for too high pressure.

AC systems are tricky, and attempting to charge w/o measuring both high and low side pressures is a recipe for problems IMO.

good luck

Old 07-12-2009, 03:01 PM

the air conditioning problem is mostly solved. we took it to a mechanic that put the r12 in and some dye to see where it was leaking. turns out nobody had put ANY r12 after the first time the air stopped working, so the little washers were dehydrated and when he took them out, they came out in pieces. So, he replaced them and put more r12 in it. The air is so cold we complain about it being cold now. lol But something is leaking from the passenger side. Im taking it on Tuesday to see what the mechanic says. Right now I have a bag Under the place it leaks because the water is seeping into the carpet and Im afraid that itll get into the computer again and mess it up again. My total cost = $0

Quick Reply: Blah Blah Blah...headlight out, air con doesnt work and other such problems...