General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Block drain

Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 AM
DougMN
Unregistered
Default Block drain

Does anyone know where the block drain is located on a 1995 accord 4cyl vtec 2.2 , thanks

Old 11-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Block drain

It's on back side of engine, above oil filter. It is difficult to spot and access. Car must be up on jackstands to access.

For access reason I only drain radiator and hoses when I change coolant. I once tried using a little air pressure to force remainder of coolant out. However, if your coolant is in good shape, no harm in leaving some in the engine.

good luck

Old 11-08-2008, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: DougMN

Does anyone know where the block drain is located on a 1995 accord 4cyl vtec 2.2 , thanks
Do you have a Canadian Accord, by any chance? If so, the block drain is where TexasHonda says it is, but it is where the block heater screws in. You have to unscrew the block heater to drain the block. Put a big pail under there before you unscrew it.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:43 PM
DougMN
Unregistered

Is this the bolt that is just above the oil filter and to the drivers side that takes a 19 mm socket? If so it won't budge with a 1/2 " breaker bar. I don't wish to bust anything. The motor is full of water, any other way to get the water out, thanks.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

No, it's a bolt head plug to the left (50-100 mm) of the oil filter and recessed from a ledge in the engine block.

Why do you need to completely drain the system? Did you put some radiator stop leak that you want to purge?

To avoid removing the plug and completely displace all old fluids, drain the radiator, remove the upper radiator hose from the radiator and introduce fluids through the upper radiator hose and into the engine. I would suggest first flushing w/ tap water till a clean stream emerges from open lower coolant drain outlet on radiator. Then for the true **** retentive, a further flush w/ a gallon of distilled water before introducing your coolant to displace the distilled water. When coolant begins to run out of lower drain outlet, close radiator drain, reattach upper radiator hose, and completely system fill w/ coolant. This flushing will be a slow process due to restriction of thermostat and water pump, but it should work fine.

System capacity is about 7.3 qts (Auto trans) so when you drain, you can see how much is left in engine. I would estimate 2 qts.

If you go to Online Manuals link under DIY forum, you can find links to download a 94-97 Accord manual w/ all the details and pics. If that's not possible PM your email address and I'll send a picture from my downloaded manual.

good luck

Old 11-09-2008, 01:38 PM
DougMN
Unregistered

I pulled the heater hose off by the block drain and it drianed almost 6 quarts, thanks