General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bolt busted inside block from oil pan honda 1993 accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 06:02 PM
Default Bolt busted inside block from oil pan honda 1993 accord

Bolt busted inside block from oil pan honda 1993 accord.

I made a huge mistake while working on my car. I wanted to test torque wrench (to get the exact torque). And for some reason it was not clicking (I should have tested it on something else).
Then it busted. With the oil pan off. I see the bolt is stuck in the threads. There is just not enough of it to get a pliers on it to turn it.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Go to your local tool store and buy an extractor bit (kinda like a tapered drill bit with a reverse thread); drill a hole in the bolt and use the extractor to pull it out.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:57 PM

Go to your local tool store and buy an extractor bit (kinda like a tapered drill bit with a reverse thread); drill a hole in the bolt and use the extractor to pull it out.

What size in portion to the size of the bolt? The smaller the better? Thank you for your quick response by the way. I appreciate it. This is turning into a real nightmare. I'll focus one thing at a time. I was real stupid to keep torquing it.

Last edited by plenum; 07-10-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

A pack of extractors of various sizes is typically pretty cheap; all in all, this will be a pretty easy fix.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
A pack of extractors of various sizes is typically pretty cheap; all in all, this will be a pretty easy fix.
Can you give me an example of the exact bit I should buy?

Is it this SHOCKWAVE IMPACT DUTY Titanium Drill Bit Set (20-Piece) from home depot?

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...82-64_1000.jpg

Or is it something like this: That has two reverse ends

Screw extractor set 12 piece

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media...mage_24990.jpg

I'm worried I can't get in the middle and get it flat surface. As I was drilling with something I already had. And no shredding were coming out.

Edit: maybe I can just leave it. Put RTV in that area. It's not a corner bolt. It's a perimeter bolt

Last edited by plenum; 07-11-2019 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

The extractor set - it'll be useful in the future also...
(the other set of drill bits looks nice, but there's no extractor tools)

I'm sure the set comes with instructions. Each tapered extractor tool corresponds to a particular drill size. Start small, because maybe the bolt isn't stuck real bad. The difficult part is drilling the first (small) hole without the drill slipping over to one side or the other. Then stick the extractor in the hole, maybe tap it in a bit, then turn it to remove the broke bolt. If the bolt is stuck, don't force it (and break the extractor). Get a larger drill to enlarge the hole & try the larger extractor.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The extractor set - it'll be useful in the future also...
(the other set of drill bits looks nice, but there's no extractor tools)

I'm sure the set comes with instructions. Each tapered extractor tool corresponds to a particular drill size. Start small, because maybe the bolt isn't stuck real bad. The difficult part is drilling the first (small) hole without the drill slipping over to one side or the other. Then stick the extractor in the hole, maybe tap it in a bit, then turn it to remove the broke bolt. If the bolt is stuck, don't force it (and break the extractor). Get a larger drill to enlarge the hole & try the larger extractor.
I also got a dremel, with different bits and a grinder (maybe one small enough to grind the surface). I think I can smooth the complete surface first. So at least I can get it in the middle. *I noticed it wasn't powerful at first, but when I charged it up for 3 hours. Major difference.
I think the key to this is to get an extractor tool set that doesn't break. Drill bits that are small enough that don't break. The harbor freight one is a Set 12 PC.
as I quote a review "The smaller ones broke and it didnt work".

I'll try your method first, provided I can get a drill bit that doesn't break! Then I'll use your second method next. Risky. If drill bit breaks. I think I might try to return it and get money back. Then get a better one. Thanks everybody for your advice so far!

Or if I can just buy one titanium drill bit extractor.

Last edited by plenum; 07-11-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by plenum
I also got a dremel, with different bits and a grinder (maybe one small enough to grind the surface). I think I can smooth the complete surface first. So at least I can get it in the middle. *I noticed it wasn't powerful at first, but when I charged it up for 3 hours. Major difference.
I think the key to this is to get an extractor tool set that doesn't break. Drill bits that are small enough that don't break. The harbor freight one is a Set 12 PC.
as I quote a review "The smaller ones broke and it didnt work".

I'll try your method first, provided I can get a drill bit that doesn't break! Then I'll use your second method next. Risky. If drill bit breaks. I think I might try to return it and get money back. Then get a better one. Thanks everybody for your advice so far!

Or if I can just buy one titanium drill bit extractor.
Since you already have a dremel, why not cut a slot across the screw remains, and try using a screw driver to back it out first? Unless the screw is so long to bury itself into the bottom of the hole, it should just back right out. If it doesn't, then cut across the slot 90* from the first cut and use that as a center to start your drilling. At this point you have nothing to loose but time.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

I think you have the right idea to use a Dremel (with a burr-grinder bit) to make a flat spot or better yet a small depression in the center of the broken bolt. That's a stable place to start drilling the hole.

People break drill bits all the time from either pushing too hard, being off-center, or something like that. You have to be careful and steady to get the first hole started.

Titanium extractor? Titanium isn't very hard so it's not a good material for extractors and certainly not for bits. Some drill bits have a very thin titanium oxide coating to improve their hardness, but that doesn't prevent them from getting broken by any of the things I mentioned above.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Since you already have a dremel, why not cut a slot across the screw remains, and try using a screw driver to back it out first? Unless the screw is so long to bury itself into the bottom of the hole, it should just back right out. If it doesn't, then cut across the slot 90* from the first cut and use that as a center to start your drilling. At this point you have nothing to loose but time.
My advice exactly..without the head of the bolt it should back out with little effort..cut a slot and use a flathead screwdriver

Quick Reply: Bolt busted inside block from oil pan honda 1993 accord