General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Default Brake Issue

Hello experts,

The ABS light in my 1994 Honda Accord Ex is on and the brakes are a bit mushy. A friend of mine bled the brakes for me, changed the brake fluid, but situation is still the same. I think there could be several reasons why the ABS light is on, and I was wondering if there is any place I can get the error code read for free? Midas ppl said they will read the code and diagnose it and give me an estimate for.............. freaking 99 DOLLARS !!!!! I didnt know what to say..... I would probably prefer to drive the car with mushy brakes than paying 99 dollars just to get it checked..... I cant imagine how much they will charge to FIX it.....

Well, I would really appreciate every piece of advice and help.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Brake Issue

You can read the code yourself. See following link for trouble codes.

http://www.troublecodes.net/honda/

When keyswitch is ON, read ABS light flashes (all short flashes). ff-pause-ffff = 24.

Post your code/s and help is on the way.

good luck

Old 03-31-2007, 02:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

abs lite being on and mushy brakes COULD be 2 different problems.. you might beginning to have brake master cylinder issues

to read the abs code all you got to do is to jump the sc ( service connector) on the right side of the dash, below the glove box.. there are 2 connetor close by 1 has 3 wires DO NOT jump that 1 ,, the other has 2 wires ,, jump it,, get a paper clip, jump the wires together, turn the key on and count the flashes on the instrument cluster ..it might be in a sequence of short flashes. a sligh pause and other flashes ( flash flash pause flash ..) would be code 2-1 .. let the sequence repeat a few times just to make sure that you get the correct code and that there are not more than 1 code stored ..
Also chk the fluid in the abs modulator,, if it is low there might be a leak at( modulator, accumulator) area ,, you need to fill the system than bleed the abs system and see if lite goes away.. but first thing s first get the codes

Old 04-16-2007, 08:10 PM

Hello,

ABS light flashed like ffff-pause-ffff

I think the code is 44

Waiting for reply,

Thanks

Old 04-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

4-4 is a code for the rt rear wheel sensor..
chk to make sure wiring going to sensor is ok, If ok,,

key off, unplug the connector at wheel sensor and chk resistance with the ohmmeter between the 2 terminals of wheel sensor , it should be ( 1,400-2,000 ohms ) if out of specs replace sensor,
chk this and let us know ..

Old 04-28-2007, 09:38 AM

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been out of contact on business and vacation.

If sensor checks OK, clean the sensor and clean the rotating lugs on the drive axle by stuffing a rag into the hole against the lugs and turning the wheel by hand. Dirt/grease can cause the signal to degrade till wheel sensor code is set.

good luck

Old 01-13-2008, 05:01 PM
vramsaran
Unregistered

I recently purchased a 94 accord from my mom with 86k miles on it, it's kinda got the same problem. The brake pedal feels kinda mushy from time to time, and I recently noticed when I'm at a red light or stop the pedal will go all the way to the firewall. I wonder if bleeding the system will help? I also notice some weird noise on start up coming from the left front under the hood. I don't know if it could be the ABS accumulator pressurizing or something close to it. I asked my mom if it's always done that and the response was " I don't really know". If anyone has the same issue or resolved a similiar one please let me know..

Old 01-13-2008, 05:25 PM

If brake pedal is firm and goes soft, the master cylinder (MC) is likely leaking, unless you see brake fluid leaking from a wheel caliper or other leak. Leak can be internal to MC and no fluid will be spilled. Bleeding will not help a leaking MC piston seal.

There is reservoir on the ABS modulator that may be low. Look for leaks beneath the ABS moduator. If yes, there is a fix for the modulator to pull and reseal he body plugs which can leak. PM w/ your email address and I'll send a TSB for sealing the body plugs.

Does the yellow ABS light come on at any time? If you have an ABS code, extract the code and post for guidance. Short 2-wire service check connector under glove box, turn keyswitch to ON, and read flashes for ABS code. All short flashes separated by a long (1-sec) pause (ffff-P-ffff= 4-4).

good luck

Old 01-14-2008, 10:40 AM

Also, does the pedal seem toget mushy only when it is hot outside? If so, you need a new Brake Master Cylinder - same problem on my 95 V6. I changed the BMC myself (with a little help from my dad and deserthonda's "how to" thread). it took about 2 hours or so. it was my first BMC to change as well as my first time to bleed brakes. My pedal is now normal. My ABS light is on but I have yet to pull the codes.I doubt it is the ABS system causing the brakes to get mushy on yoursthough.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:11 PM

the noise you hear - does it last a few seconds or like 10 seconds or longer(i've heard them run for 2 minutes before setting a abs light) - is coming from the abs pump. if it's running longer than say 5 seconds most likely the abs reservoir is low, causing the pump to overrun. you can top off the abs modulator and see how long it lasts. if there is fluid under the modulator it will need replacement.

the pedal sinking to the floor is bad news. don't risk my life - replace it [8D]

Quick Reply: Brake Issue