General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:14 AM
ku3kid
Unregistered
Default brake light on

i have a 2001 accord ex v6 and when ever i press down the gas pedal to get moving from a stop, the red brake light comes on. This only happens when i press down on the pedal harder than usual, like half way down, or fully pressing down the pedal. i have checked to see that my emergency brake is not engaged and there seems to be no signs of any braking occuring, but yet the brake light still comes on. Any one have an idea of what the problem is?

Old 01-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: brake light on

This is likely a problem w/ the float reed switch in the brake fluid reservoir. Honda and Acura have problems w/ this in recent years. I've got an Acura that turns the brake light on w/ startup when temp is cold, and goes off after 10 mins of driving.

You can check if the float switch is the problem by disconnecting one of the leads to the reservoir switch. If problem goes away, you know the reed switch is the problem. A new switch is probably only fix.

good luck

Old 01-01-2008, 12:47 PM

no, the switch is absolutely fine. the problem is the filter.

the filter retains pressure inside it since it creates such a good seal. honda has an updated filter with notches cut into the side of it to equalize pressure faster. you can modify your current filter to look like the updated filter to fix it.

or a new replacement filter from honda is about $10 or so.

be sure to top off your brake fluid level if it's low(use Dot 3 fluid)

Old 01-02-2008, 11:06 AM

Hey HondaTechAV6....where is the filter? Can it be seen in this pic?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

no, the switch is absolutely fine. the problem is the filter.

the filter retains pressure inside it since it creates such a good seal. honda has an updated filter with notches cut into the side of it to equalize pressure faster. you can modify your current filter to look like the updated filter to fix it.

or a new replacement filter from honda is about $10 or so.

be sure to top off your brake fluid level if it's low(use Dot 3 fluid)
By filter do you mean the strainer cup insert in the reservoir? How does this affect the float on the cap?

First I've heard of this. Is there a TSB?

thanks

Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 PM

yeah, there is a tsb on it. all filters that sink into the master cylinder are affected. it usually turns off after the pressure equalizes after you drive off and are about 15 minutes into the drive or so.

it's not in your picture.

what happens is the filter isn't allowing the cap to vent properly. this causes the fluid level in the filter to change. and since the float is inside the filter the warning light illuminates.

the part number is:
46666-S04-J02

if the float is binding upon inspection(the styrofoam type thing that is on the cap) replace that:
46662-S84-999 (although i've never had a binding float, it's always just the filter)

Old 01-02-2008, 07:10 PM

Thanks, this makes a lot more sense than Honda buying that many faulty reed switches.

Regards

Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

LOL .... they just bought that many faulty filters!!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:59 PM

thats a new one on me too, I never knew that a master cylinder had a filter.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well .... faulty screens ...... kinda like a pool filter basket only smaller, so I guess calling it a filter is correct ...... just that it's not a cartridge or can.

Quick Reply: brake light on