General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Light fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 12:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Brake Light fuse keeps blowing

Mechanic Help: 95 Accord * Just had the engine swapped out for a stock F22B from Japan. Driving home my fiance says when we get home, 'your brake lights werent working. Check fuse #30 in the engine compartment fuse box and its blown. Change it and they start working. Take my daughter home later tonite and see the brake lights working. Bumpin my sounds on the way back home and I notice no brake lights. Get home, fuse #30 is blown again. Now as soon as I try to put a fuse in it blows. Guy who did my motor has worked for Honda for over 20yrs so i know he knows what hes doing on that end. But does anyone have any other ideas?
So far Ive disconnected the radio and checked those wires. Have no idea what else to try

Old 09-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

The No. 30 (20A) fuse in the under-hood fuse box protects the horns, brake lights, and the key interlock solenoid (A/T). There probably is a short in the Wht/Yel wire in one of those circuits.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

The key interlock solenoid is in the steering lock assembly; so, although there can be a short there, it is less likely to be there. Start with the wiring and connectors for the horns (there is a left and right horn), and at the brake switch (at the brake pedal).

Old 09-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So if I remove that brake sensor, if thats the problem, will the fuse keep blowing until I replace it? Also, is there a trick to getting it off? Im able to loosen that adjustable nut, but the one on the other side near the brake pedal, I cant seem to get a wrench it there. Its a tight space.
Thank you for your help

Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Just unplug the connector at the brake light switch and see if the fuse still blows when you put in a new one. But, it probably is not the switch itself, it could be some wire that got pinched and insulation came off, etc. and it is touching chassis ground.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies

yeah, i just unplugged the switch and the fuse still blew. Any idea where i can start looking? Im not car savy at all, so if you can dumb it down for me as much as you can id appreciate it.

Also, will it still blow if I just unplugged it and didnt plug in a new one?

Last edited by Mario Locatelli; 09-16-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

If it is still blowing with the brake light switch disconnected, the short is somewhere else. It is not the switch.

The short may be somewhere before the brake switch or along the horns circuit, etc. Start looking carefully at the wires and connectors for those.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Newest Of Newbies

just did something dumb..I put a 40 fuse in there just to see and it didnt blow it, but after a few minutes the car turned on without the keys in the ignition. Not like literally turned on, but on like when you initally put the keys in and turn it one notch. Dash lights came on, fans in motor came on

Old 09-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

During the engine swap, do you know if the under-hood fuse box was moved and/or electrical connectors under the fuse box being disconnected and reconnected?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

idk, also i can now smell something burning, like plastic.

Quick Reply: Brake Light fuse keeps blowing