General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake lights stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Default RE: Brake lights stopped working

ORIGINAL: falkore24

SN: replaced bulbs & checked fuses.

Not possible that it could be a relay?
The only relay that I know of is going to be the brake light switch, and if he's shifting fine and the center brake light is working then the switch is ruled out. If the bulb is good and the fuses are good then I'm think the same basic thing as Deserthonda, either a poor connection at the socket, crappy bulbs, bad ground or a combination of those issues. As he stated though just verify that there is power back there, if not then I personally would check to make sure the wire was still in tact (with my funky ohm test...). Either way, test the bulb socket and post the results.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Honda2000
Unregistered

I will try tracing all the wires back to the brake pedal tomorrow morning. And give the Ohm test a try. I removed each one of the fuses and inspected them visually. I will post the results tomorrow. All the sockets are in good condition and all the light bulbs are brand new. All the lights work, except the brake lights. Even the license plate light works fine. Thanks again, guys, for all your help.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:57 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Honda2000

I will try tracing all the wires back to the brake pedal tomorrow morning. And give the Ohm test a try. I removed each one of the fuses and inspected them visually. I will post the results tomorrow. All the sockets are in good condition and all the light bulbs are brand new. All the lights work, except the brake lights. Even the license plate light works fine. Thanks again, guys, for all your help.
No need to do an ohm test.....just do as i adviced... you can do all the tests on the left rear brake lite area , that's where the failure sensor is ..
do those tests and let us know

Old 09-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Honda2000
Unregistered

Good news!! I have fixed the stop light problem. A connection was apparently loose. I used a voltage test light. The green wire wasn't getting any power. There was a plug deep inside the trunk where wires are separated into two sets: one set for the rear spoiler and the other for the tail lights. I disconnected that plug and my brakes lights worked. The weird thing is that the plug wasn't loose or anything like that because it took me a little bit of effort to unplug it.

I have another minor problem. The light for the clock stopped working about a month ago, but the clock works properly. When I turn on my headlights at night, I can't see the clock. Can it be fixed?

I greatly appreciate all of your help. Thank you very much.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:59 PM

Fairly common issue.... Search the forum and you'll see it everywhere. Ocassionaly honda will do a good will repair on it even if it's out of warranty. Typically it's a bad bulb

Old 09-22-2007, 02:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

glad you got it fixed and posted the end result....
remove the clock and replace the bulb

Old 09-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Honda2000
Unregistered

I'm just surprised that only the green wire in the plug wasn't getting any power from the female part of the plug. In any case, I'm glad that the brake lights are working now. Do you guys know where I can buy a center brake light male plug? When the rear spoiler was installed, the center brake light was disconnected in order to power the spoiler.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Honda2000
Unregistered

DesertHonda, how do I remove the clock? Is it hard? I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Default 06 Honda Accord LX brake light problem

My brake lights work SOMETIMES... Usually only when I press the brake pedal with allot of pressure from the left side, almost like pressing it sideways from the left. Other than that, they just dont come on. Fuses are good and Ijust sprayed the switch with lube and depressed it a good 20 times thinking that was it. When I started the car again I pressed while a friend watched and they worked for the first 5-6 times and then it stopped working again... Don't know what to do now.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Thumbs up Deserthonda, reply #9 got it right!!!

I noticed the rear, side(left/right) brake lights not functioning problem, accidentally. The upper brake light in the window works fine. One bulb failed, I replaced it and still no left/right brake lights. I found this link and removed the module under the driver-side rear brake assembly. It was difficult to disconnect, a flathead screwdriver addressed that problem. I was finally able to disconnect the connector from the module, sprayed both connectors with WD40 to clean the contacts, and the problem was corrected.

Quick Reply: Brake lights stopped working