General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Master Cylinder and Front Engine Mount.. please help with WHAT TO BUY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM
d0n
Exclamation Brake Master Cylinder and Front Engine Mount.. please help with WHAT TO BUY?

Hi, so I took my car to the Honda dealership (I have the TCS and brake light on) and I experience shaking when shifting throughout gears and their diagnostics have found that these two things needs to be replaced:

BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER (quoted me $209 part, $294 for installation)
(BRAKE FLUSH needs to be done for $130 and I already found a independent mechanic who will do that for me for $68)

and

FRONT ENGINE MOUNT is broken ($265 +tax and $90 for labor)
- could solve the shaking (omg I hope it will)

Anyways, I looked these up on Majestic Honda and of course found them much cheaper and I am sure someone will do the labor for me for much less than what they quoted.

MAJESTIC HONDA

46100-SDB-A02 MASTER CYLINDER ASSY. $126.19
50830-SDP-A13 RUBBER ASSY., FR. ENGINE MOUNTING (MT) $159.74

Already just on the parts I will pay $305 shipped vs $470 at Honda
(not including taxes)

BUT MY QUESTION IS:
Is this all I need to be changed?
Because for example when I open up the Brake Master Cylinder page on Majestic Honda it shows many parts:
Honda Automotive Parts

do I need anything else to order with it, so that the mechanic I go to has all he needs, or shall I just get those two parts?
I FOUND A CHEAPER ALTERNATIVE TO MAJESTIC HONDA (should I go for it or not?)

BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER
2003-2004 Honda Accord Brake Master Cylinder - Centric 130.40056 - Centric Premium, OE replacement
that would be even cheaper - they offer free shipping

and which one of the ENGINE FRONT MOUNTS to get there?
Front Engine Mount - Auto Parts Warehouse

which one is it though on that site??? I see that in general the prices are lower though.
cheaper even than Majestic Honda.
Or is Majestic Honda worth it?

Please help on what to get.

My car:
Honda Accord 2003 6-speed manual EX-L NAV 2 Door

THANKS!!!

Last edited by d0n; 02-18-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:09 PM

I would bring the car to another shop, and get a second opinion. I am sceptical that these two parts will solve your issues.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 PM
d0n

really?
I went to another shop and there they told me that it is most likely the engine mounts after looking at the engine. (one guy was standing lookin inside it and other one had the handbrake on and was reving it up)
now they also said this at Honda.

And as for the brake master cylinder, they say that thatis why the HANDBRAKE light never goess off and the yellow TCS light also always stays on.

I've already been to so many shops and everyone tells me something else or sends me to another one. So I thought the best one I could trust will be Honda.
I even have another thread for the shaking problem on here and nobody seemed to know so that's why I took it to Honda.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:30 PM

If you've already got a second opinion, I guess I would believe what they say. I would stick with Honda parts. Online dealerships are usually cheaper, but who will you get to install them. Did they test drive the car?

Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM
d0n

I know mechanics who will install my own part if I bring it.
And I know that will be much cheaper.
Already the part is cheaper (now I just don't know whether to get Majestic Honda which is OEM, or the other site which is some other manufacturer). I feel like I should stick with Majestic Honda.

But are those two parts that I listed really all I need, or should I get something else?
Thanks

And yeah they test drove it, but the thing is the problem is only occuring sometimes (usually after a longer time of driving - which in my case is usually evening, which is when they are closed and the next day the problem is not really occuring anymore). So when I test drove it with them today it was barely doing it. But they said it could be the engine mounts.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 PM
d0n

this seems to be the master cylinder:
RockAuto Parts Catalog

FRONT ENGINE MOUNT
and here #9246 for Manual transmission
RockAuto Parts Catalog

only $50 (3x cheaper than Majestic Honda)

BUT WHICH ONES TO GET EXACTLY?
and does anybody have experience with these non-OEMs?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:47 AM
d0n

i guess i should just stick with honda majestic, but which parts?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 AM

rockauto parts are usually pretty decent but when it comes to engine mounts your much safer going with the OEM. aftermarket mounts tend to collapse within the first 6months to year of install. but the brake master cyclinder would be a nice buy from rockauto have had very good experence with rockauto. best of luck!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by vduran529
aftermarket mounts tend to collapse within the first 6months to year of install.
what?

Old 02-20-2013, 06:12 PM
d0n

as for the brake master cylinder and engine mount:

I went to another mechanic today who briefly looked at the Brake Master Cylinder and he saw the brake sensor (that checks the fluid?) and it was popped out. So he popped it back in and the TCS and "brake" lights are not on on the dashboard anymore.
He said that this could have maybe taken care of the problem????

Are you serious honda? Replacing the whole Cylinder ($529 without tax) if another mechanic just pops the sensor back in and it's ok???
I really hope that was it.
He said that maybe I will need to order a new sensor though (which might only come with the reservoir).
Do you guys think I need to do that?

I already have the Brake Master Cylinder on the way from Rockauto, but I guess I will just return it then?

Should I do the bleeding/flush as was recommended by Honda?

As for the front engine mount, he looked at it and said that there is definitely a crack and showed it to me. They offered to change it for $200 (I bought the part from Majestic for $150). Hopefully that will take care of the shaking when switching gears.

Quick Reply: Brake Master Cylinder and Front Engine Mount.. please help with WHAT TO BUY?