General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake Pads ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 11:31 PM
jboates
Unregistered
Default Brake Pads ??'s

Ok so I'm new to the forum but I already have a question for you techies. I have a 2001 Accord LX and like some of you are having to replace the brake pads almost every year (give or take 4-5 months) Instead of paying someone to do this...how difficult is it to do? I have an older truck and have done some work on that one (nothing as big as a motor swap though)

Do you all know of any sites or install pages to show me how to replace the pads, and possibly the rotors too? Thanks everyone.

(P.S. I recently did an oil change; replaced the oil, filter, and air filter. Ever since then the car has seemed like it's not having as much power in the lower speeds as before. I used a Fram air filter...do they suck? I'm thinking about upgrading to an AEM or Matrix air intake. Any thoughts?)

Old 04-26-2005, 11:50 PM
Default RE: Brake Pads ??'s

Dude - it's not a bad job

you can do it yourself no prob

i hope the newer models have the rotors hold on just by the axle nut.

take the wheel - lift the car from the back notice 2 bolts that hold the bracket - take them off - and the bracket slides of - this is how the pads are going in.

to take the rotors off - just take the caliper off and the axle nut and they pop off.

Now - very important - tighten the bolts to torque specifections when you assemble it all back together.

To be sure - use Haynes Manual - worth everypenny!

good luck

hehe just read it myself - sounds so easy .....haha - well not that easy. tell me if you understood anything i said - i hope you're familiar of how caliper work

Old 04-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Bhersh
Unregistered

Dude changing brake pads is an easy job. Sounds like you've had a wrench in your hands before.

Jack up the car while keeping it in mind to brace it with a jackstand. (saftey first) lol
Their should be one or two bolts that hold the Caliper to the rotor assembly. Obviously take them off and the Caliper should pop off with the proper persuation. (rubber malet or a soft tapping with a hammer)
Once the Caliper is off pop out the brake pads while keeping in mind of how they came out and which one goes on which side. (THeres only two...so its pretty hard to screw this up)
Now, the piston of the caliper will have to be pushed back till its flush with the Caliper or youll never get the new pads in, and the Caliper put back on the Rotor. This should make sense when you see it.
I suggest using some sort of large C-clamp and a block of wood to accomplish this. You'll never push it it with your hands. (This is a Hammer-Mechanic technique but it works for me as a do it yourselfer)
Then Put in the new pads on their proper side and slide the Caliper over the Rotor and alighn eveythig in order to put the bolts back in. Put the wheel back on and set the car down.

REMEMBER TO PUMP YOUR BRAKES BEFORE DRIVING THE CAR. JUST GET IN AND PUMP THE BRAKE PEDAL TILL THE PRESSURE GETS BACK IN THE LINES. IF YOU FAIL TO DO THIS YOU MIGHT HAVE A SCARE THE FIRST TIME BRAKING AFTER COMPLETING THIS TASK.

hope this was helpful....

~Bhersh

Old 04-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Bhersh
Unregistered

Oh and one more thing......

Fram is great overall and an aftermarket intake is never a bad thing. It will alow your motor to breathe better, therefore giving you more power, slightly better mileage and of course better throttle response. As for which is the best. I havent kept current with whats out there. A Cold-air is always better than just some intake. But they all do basically the same thing.

~Bhersh

Old 05-15-2005, 07:50 PM

Ya, changing out pads is easy...Take off tire...Take off two caliper bolts...remove and swap pads....reassemble...That is basically it.

Old 05-16-2005, 01:18 PM

Don't forget to apply high-temp moly to the caliper bolt (prevent seizing) and anti-squeal to the pad.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:16 PM

I dont like the anti-squeal stuff....if you have good pads/rotors you shouldnt hear a squeal...I never had any problems. [sm=badbadbad.gif] And I abuse the S**T outta my brakes....hehehe