General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pulse at high speed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Default Brake pulse at high speed.

Hi everyone
I have an 01 honda accord v6 sedan with 98k miles. I recently replace the right front ABS sensor and complete set of front brake including pads and rotors. At low speed which is 40mph or less the car stops fine without any problem. But as soon as i go over 45mph and i hit the break, I can feel the pulse and vibration from the front end. Does anyone have the same problem or any idea what may cause the problem? I DID bleed the front when i change the pads and rotors. I thought about the ABS sensor which I recently changed but if it was the ABS sensor, ABS light will be popped on when the pulse happen. Please help.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 PM

Recheck the work, could have defective rotor/s ?

Old 06-11-2011, 09:05 PM

Thanks, i'll try to replace them again. I bought these rotors from Autozone and paid around $70 a piece with 2years warranty. For the pad, i used ceremic pads with lifetime. Should I go with the slotted rotors instead? Will that help with the problem?

Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Check the calipers to be sure they are not sticking. Also check the slide pins.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Good Idea. I'll check that out. Thanks poorman212

Old 06-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

No problem, I'm with piggy on the rotors being warped, just wondering how they got that way so quick...was the issue there as soon as the brakes were done or was it a short time later? Do you feel this in the pedal or in the steering wheel.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:10 PM

Ok i changed the front rotors and pads. This is what the old rotors look like

Here is the new one

The brake fluid was so dirty it looked like my engine oil.

I changed the brake fluid and it looks nice and clear

After that, i put everything back together and give it a quick ride. The problem is still there, but i've noticed something. The front brake gets really hot but the rear hardly have any heat. It was so cool that I could touch the rear with my finger and didn't feel anything. I thought the rear supposed to be a little warm too. How does brake system work? is it 70/30? 70% on the front and 30%on the rear since it's a front engine and front wheel drive? Am I wrong?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:20 PM

Did you check the rear rotors for warpage by using the e-brake while moving (make sure the road is not heavy traffic)

Old 06-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

By the way that one break gets really hot leads me to believe that maybe pad installed incorrectly? The heat would mean it is constantly in contact with the rotar, probably while not even brakeing.

I have had a problem similar to this with the same generation accord and turned to be tires and needing an alignment. I thought it was the breaks too lol.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like you got grease or something on the surface of the new rotor. That will cause it. Clean it really good with brake cleaner.

Check the caliper slide-pins, especially the one that gets hot.

When you installed the new pads, did they fit nicely in the caliper bracket? Sometimes I have to file off the ends, just enough to remove the paint, so they fit nice.

Quick Reply: Brake pulse at high speed.