General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

BRAKE and TCS indicators are on constantly!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Unhappy BRAKE and TCS indicators are on constantly!

Hello everyone!

I own 2003 Accord EX V6 coupe.
So, this weekend I was changing brake fluid using turkey baster to suck old fluid out. It was so dirty that it even had those squishy pieces of dirt in it. So I was trying so hard to get it all out, that apparently I critically injured my fluid sensor or most likely killed it because when I start the car, red "BRAKE" indicator stays on and then after 20-30 seconds TCS and exclamation point in a triangle indicators coming up. Note when I unplug cable that goes to the reservoir those indicators do not turn on, so is it what I think it is or is it my fluid is so clean now that sensor can't take it? Please help probably I would have to buy a new sensor, so I need a part number and if anybody knows how to install it.

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2012, 02:02 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Wait, if you unplug it, isn't it supposed to warn you that it's unplugged? Or does it not? I always thought if the cap sensor wires were removed it warns you.

Have you tried playing with the fluid sensor? Is it stuck? Did you maybe push on it too hard when cleaning it out?

Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by MessAround
Wait, if you unplug it, isn't it supposed to warn you that it's unplugged? Or does it not? I always thought if the cap sensor wires were removed it warns you.

Have you tried playing with the fluid sensor? Is it stuck? Did you maybe push on it too hard when cleaning it out?
Well, I don't really know where the sensor at so I can't really play with it since I got no clue where to look for it haha, Oh and btw fluid level is on max

Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

The wire you unplugged from the brake fluid reservoir is the sensor. I guess there would be some kind of float inside the reservoir, and you might be able to check it's action.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Brake fluid level sensor is normally open, so when you unplug the sensor/cap assembly, the control system thinks fluid level is fine and light stays off. Level sensor is mechanical switch inside a glass tube that is pulled closed w/ a magnet in the float.

Suggest moving float up/down to make sure it's traveling upward and not getting stuck down (light on). If it still stays on when inserted into a full reservoir, you'll need to replace the cap/float assembly.

good luck

Old 11-14-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The wire you unplugged from the brake fluid reservoir is the sensor. I guess there would be some kind of float inside the reservoir, and you might be able to check it's action.
Unfortunately I can't reach lower than the middle of the tank with my turkey baster without taking this tank apparar... If u have same accord coupe or sedan you will see weird shape of the brake fluid tank which doesn't allow you to reach to deeper than the certain point.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Brake fluid level sensor is normally open, so when you unplug the sensor/cap assembly, the control system thinks fluid level is fine and light stays off. Level sensor is mechanical switch inside a glass tube that is pulled closed w/ a magnet in the float.

Suggest moving float up/down to make sure it's traveling upward and not getting stuck down (light on). If it still stays on when inserted into a full reservoir, you'll need to replace the cap/float assembly.

good luck
Also I can tell for sure that on the bottom there is a lot of dark stuff so I can't see anything down there. Is there any way I can reach there and check out if as you say this sensor points upward without taking everything apart ? Can you please post an assembly picture.

Last edited by Uryupin; 11-14-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

The assembly drawing that I have doesn't show the reservoir apart. The reservoir is together with the master cylinder.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The level sensor is built into the cap (see those wires!).

good luck

Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 PM

Thank you guys for your advises! I think I will take off the whole tank and try to fix this sensor

Quick Reply: BRAKE and TCS indicators are on constantly!