General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes still squeaking after replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 PM

thanks guys - i'll give it a go and let you know.
some hard-braking might help, and sounds like fun :-)

Old 02-27-2011, 01:13 PM

Hey guys - do you think over-torqued caliper mounting bolts could have been the culprit of my singing front disc brakes?

I finally got around to taking the front disc brakes off and as per the suggestions of you lot i re-cleaned everything, reapplied anti-squeal, and put some lubricant at the retaining clips.

While I was getting in there I noticed that the bolts were on there WAY tight - my air ratchet should have been able to pull them off but couldn't budge them. Mr Haynes recommends 54lbs. I think i had trouble fitting my t wrench in there so just gave it a hand-tighten.

I've got some other stuff i'm doing so it will be a few hours before i could take it out and see if it's fixed but i'd be interested in hearing your thoughts :-)

Old 02-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't use just high temperature grease on those. I would use silicone grease that the parts store they sell in the small packets. See if the caliper can slide easily on the pins. Check that the rubber boots on the caliper are not torn.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:47 AM

All looks good, but out of curiosity what would be the result of torn rubber caliper boots?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Caliper slide pins have to move & allow the caliper to slide in & out as you apply the brakes. Torn boots allow dirt in there & grind up the slide pins and sockets, so they fit more loosely & the caliper's position is not well controlled.

There's another rubber dust boot around the actual piston of the caliper. Dirt in there can eventually cause the caliper to leak brake fluid & eventually lead to brake failure.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:09 AM

cool - i guess that should be pretty obvious if that were the problem... you don't really want dirt getting anywhere there is greased/lubricated parts.

you guys are the best

Old 08-13-2011, 08:44 AM

Hi mate,

I was reading this post with interest as I am also encountering the annoying squealing noise after driving a few miles and at low speed (never at high speed) brakes work absolutely fine, just the noise

what did you do in the end, and did it actually work for ya??

Thanks in advance

Old 08-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Have you recently changed or checked the brakes? The first suspicion should be worn-out brake pads. There's a little metal tab that rubs against the rotor making a screetching sound as they're almost worn out.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Have you recently changed or checked the brakes? The first suspicion should be worn-out brake pads. There's a little metal tab that rubs against the rotor making a screetching sound as they're almost worn out.
I took the rear brake pads apart yesterday, lots left on them pads, cleaned it all up, took the slider pins out, they had greased on them but I cleaned it all up and put copper grease instead, cleaned all the area and fingers crossed, I haven't heard the screeching noise again. So far so good.

Having said that, the screeching noise would only appear when the car was hot and slow turning in traffic etc, but not on high speed.

correct me if I am wrong, this is the way I can tell if the callipers are sticking: on a down/up hill I put the car in neutral, foot off the brake, hand brake off, and if the car starts rolling, the callipers are free...

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

I normally allow the car to coast in neutral for the last foot or 2, on horizontal road. (parking lot?) If the brakes are dragging, the very last bit before it stops will be just a little grabby.

Of course, the BEST way to tell is jack up each corner & spin the wheel.

You had the brake pads out? There should be a little grease on the backing plates, between the metal shims on the back side of the brake pads.

Quick Reply: Brakes still squeaking after replacement!