General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes... Suggestions and Information...

Old 01-03-2008, 09:39 PM
drive4fun
Unregistered
Default Brakes... Suggestions and Information...

2003 Accord Sedan Ex - V6 - 25,xxx miles...

Cars brakes have not been touched except for a master cylinder replacement done by Honda.

I'm getting the infamous vibration/shuddering/pulsation.

I took the TSB to the dealer and they said they do not cover wear and tear. He said that my extended warranty will not cover anything that has to do with the brake pads or rotors.

I purchased a set of Pro-ACT ceramic pads for my fronts and rears.

Rotors don't seem to be damaged. From what I can see and feel the rotors aren't deeply scored or cracked. There is still a slight reflection on them but they are light scratched/scored? all around.

Should I go ahead and install all 4 pads and do the break-in procedure. Then see if the vibration/shudder is still there?

The pads are about 4 years old with 25,000 miles on them. I know mileage wise it's time to change them. How many years do the pads and rotors last for? The car was garaged for its first 3 years and now is outside 100% of the times.

Would i have to first take it to the shop which is one mile away from my house and get them re-surfaced/turned? Then install the pads?

Would it ruin the pads if I go ahead and install them and then get the rotors resurfaced?

I've read that in some cases resurfacing the brakes solved the problem but only temporarily.

I'm thinking about just purchasing two front rotors instead of wasting time and effort in trying to resurface them.
New front OEM rotors go for $70 online and from what people have told me resurfacing the rotors cost $10-$15..
It seems to me that resurfacing and getting another 30k miles out of the stock oem rotors seems like the best way to go.

I have done a lot of research but I am new to the brake industry so comments, suggestions, and any type of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
Adam

Old 01-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Default RE: Brakes... Suggestions and Information...

the only way to eliminate a brake pulsation is to resurface the rotors. you won't hurt the pads if you put them on old rotors and then resurface them at a later date.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:55 AM

There have been differing opinions on rotors being a "wear and tear" item. Rotors should last much longer than 25k miles. if I were you, I'd contact Honda of America and express your concern and ask why the rotors wear down so fast in the 7th gen (03-07)Accords. I have seen far too many 7th gen owners complaining about rotorswearing out too soon.
One of our Honda techs thinks rotors are covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. Others think it is the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.
I would contact Honda of America if I were you.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:13 AM

I could be mistaken but I have never seen a warranty on brake pads... And I've NEVER seen an extended warranty program that covers them... It's just to hard to say what's going to happen with them and when they are going to go out since driving style makes all the difference. As for your dilema I'd get them re-surfaced and keep in mind that if you have a true ceramic pad those don't work that well until they are warmed up, then they grab and hold BIG TIME

Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 AM

talking about rotors. pads are a different story.....

Old 01-04-2008, 10:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Pads and rotors are wear and tear items. Them wearing out prematurely is caused by something else, the calipers, the braking system, improper break in, etc. Making a case out of it isn't worth the trouble.

Get some Brembo blanks. IMO its not worth resurfacing old rotors.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 PM

^x2

brembo blanks are about $40 apeice, and usually dont warp as much as the OEM rotors for that gen.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:11 PM
drive4fun
Unregistered

Yeah I am well informed that i should replaced the pads. My concern was if it was okay to run new brake pads on these so called "warped" rotors.

I doubt that my run off is wrong. You will feel run out even in cold brakes and low speed.

I went to a trust worthy shop near me and they stated that they don't recommend resurfacing my rotors at all. They stated that within a short period of time I would have to replace them.

I am eager to find out whether or not changing just the pads will help the shudder at all. I'm sure it will help at least a little. Other than the pads being almost worn out these brake pads were the reason why Honda distributed the service bulletin. If changing the pads does not help I will place an order for new front rotors asap.

The only thing is that I do not want to waste and damage the brand new pads by using them with the " warped " rotors. This is my main concern. Also how will this affect my bedding in process. Should I just play it safe and sacrifice the $160 for new front rotors? I am mostly going OEM because I will be purchasing a new car within 1-2 years.

Maybe I should go with the Brembo Blanks? How much of a difference is there between the two. It would save me a nice $50. Which I could always buy another rotor if anything were to happen... Or even purchase new rotors for the back?..

Thanks for the information and suggestions.

Keep them coming.

~Adam[/align]

Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 PM

we resurface rotors on the car to eliminate all runout and intolerances, and never have any comebacks, even when we are .5mm above the minimum spec. it's all how you drive/brake.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 PM

Yep, machining the rotors on the car is the way to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes... Suggestions and Information...