General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaks squeaking =[

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Default Breaks squeaking =[

2003 EX Sedan 4cyl 48,300 miles

This is weird. It squeaks as I decelerate but only from about 20 to 0. No Squeaking until I hit about 20 mph and under. Sound coming from back and I think the right side. Several months ago it was in an accident and I had the wheel and rotor replaced but it has been driving great since then and this sound has just been occuring starting this week. Became really apparent to me today.

Any ideas? I'm kinda broke, hope it's nothing serious =[

Old 03-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Default RE: Breaks squeaking =[

Anyone?

Also, it also squeaks if I pull up firmly on the parking break. Sound is coming form the right rear.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

It might be that the caliper slider pins are dry and need to be relubed, if the rotor is glazed to the point of looking like a mirror try to scuff it up with some 60 grit sand paper.

Around 98-99 Honda changed to a very hard brake pad compound, it is common that the rotors get a glaze on them and make noise.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: hondadude

It might be that the caliper slider pins are dry and need to be relubed, if the rotor is glazed to the point of looking like a mirror try to scuff it up with some 60 grit sand paper.

Around 98-99 Honda changed to a very hard brake pad compound, it is common that the rotors get a glaze on them and make noise.
I was looking at it today, and it didn't appear to be glazed, but I will look in the morning to be sure. Can I check the pins on my own without too much difficulty?

Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Stuck slider pins often cause dragging brakes. The caliper has plenty of force to apply the brakes, but since the sliders are stuck, the outboard pad doesn't release completely.

Otherwise you remove the caliper like you're replacing the brake pads. The slide pins will eitherslide nicelyin their holes or they'll be stuck.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:09 PM
808mark
Unregistered

might be a rock between the backing plate and the rotor. seen it happen before.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:39 PM

If I take the rear wheel off, where/what do I look for?

Old 03-23-2008, 09:56 PM
nicolaselias
Unregistered

Im having a similar problem, except its not squaking, sounds more like a rough low pitched grinding, almost sounds fluidlike when i brake at low speeds...
It doesnt seem to affect the stopping ability, but im still concerned
is it possible that the rotors need machining/replacement?

thanks

Old 03-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Grinding sounds like you've gone past the squealing of a worn pad. If the rotors don't haves ridges on them don't machine them. A dry sliding pin will cause one pad to stay on the rotor and the other to release so the outside pads may be okay and work, but the insides might be worn down to the metal. Saw it happen on my dad's Dakota...

Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 AM

1st of all, I would not worry or spend a whole lot of money on a small squeak coming from one wheel at low speeds. Even if that one brake copletely failed, you would still have 3 others to stop you. Please do not go spending tons of cash on some grease monkey who will simply slap some lube on there to stop the squeaking.

Now for a little help. I'll stick with the suggestions of the caliper pin causing the squeak. Below are some pics.

Once you remove the wheel, you should be looking at something like this:

Below is a pic of a caliper pin being removed:

I got these pics here: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Gen...m_64674/tm.htm
Follow the link and there are tons of DIY's with pictures. Those two pics are from the OEM brake pad replacement link.

Quick Reply: Breaks squeaking =[