General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing her back to life

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:14 PM
SlimNubster
Unregistered
Default Bringing her back to life

What's up everybody....
I hope my post hasn't previously been posted in a similar manner, but if it has, someone please let me know.
Here's my deal:
I have a 2002 Accord 4DR EX F23A4 (4cyl).
She has been sitting in my garage untouched for approximately 3 months now (I'll explain why in a bit) and in cold climates--less than 40 degrees F on average.
Before this "storage," she was having some issues with acceleration--hesitating from first gear, and occasionally redlining at 4,000 rpm on all other gears (obviously not normal).

For starters, here's what I've added to her (Just in case any of this is relevant to anybody's suggestion/answer): Skunk 2 Cat-Back, Magnaflow CAT, DC 4-2-1 Header, AEM Cam gear.

I want to bring her back to life; besides the obvious (i.e. fluid flushes/changes, etc) what should I do to get her running as good as new? I did plan to send her to HOnda, but they charge too dam much for most simple services I can do in my garage. I also have a list of things Honda does for major service that I plan to follow as closely as possible. If anybody has specific suggestions/procedures I should execute in order to get her back to tip-top running shape (without replacing the motor/tranny) your input is much appreciated.

Couple things I've noticed myself: ALL fluids are frickin old; oil at oil changes is often very black (I stick to Royal Purple, Castrol's Syntec and now Edge)--maybe change piston rings?; valves need adjusting; drivebelts have NEVER been replaced; and I THINK that's it...

I appreciate everybody's input. I'm tryina get this car ready for my daughter who's birth is due in March.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

- SeaFoam it
- Change all the fluids
- Replace air filter (cabin filter as well if you're so inclined)
- Get new drive belts
- New spark plugs, cap, rotor, probably wires
- Check for leaks between valve cover/cylinder head, cylinder head/block, tranny/block (bottom side), timing covers/block, oil pan/block
- New HONDA thermostat isn't out of the question...
- Jack the car up, check for play in tie rod ends, ball joints and wheel bearing on all 4 wheels
- How many miles are on it? Timing belt/tensioners/water pump need replacing every 105,000 miles.
- If there is excessive tick at idle when at operating temp, a valve adjustment could be done as well (not too difficult to do, just time consuming the first time) I can point you to a DIY article for that.

As far as your acceleration issues... that definitely sounds like the tranny on it's way to the grave. VERY common issue on 98-02 automatics, some 03-04 as well.