General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Broke my rear suspension end link

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM
Default Broke my rear suspension end link

Trying to install an aftermarket sway bar and I think the nut got cross threaded as it stopped turning, won't tight or loosen anymore.

How should I remove it since the nut is stuck on there?

What is the part number for the end link (driver side) and how much do you think it would cost?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Did you use the allen key in the stud to hold it while you tighten the nut?

Get a vise grip to hold the stud while you loosen/tighten it with the wrench.

Moog endlinks are better than OEM, they're $25 (vs. $100+ for the pair from the dealer). Moog's have a steel seat for the ball to pivot in while the OEM ones are plastic.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 PM

Yea, I used the hex key. Was a pain to crack and then I was happy when it did, for about 10 seconds...

Googling, I find it is parts number K90342 and K90343. If so I'll order these right away so I can have it when I get back from my vacation in 2 weeks.

Also I saw some people saying it needs to be greased? How can I do this and I guess I should do it every oil change?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 PM

Most auto stores should either carry or be able to order Moog links.

Mine were so rusted on that the hex immediately stripped and I ended up just grinding them off with an angle grinder.

I've never heard of them needing grease... I don't understand why or how. Maybe they are talking about the two sway bar bushings UNDER the car, those need a good coating of grease when installed, but over time the just stay quiet.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:09 PM

OK, I'll call around tomorrow. I'm guessing autozone, pepboys, NAPA?

Old 05-14-2009, 03:45 AM
jahid420
Unregistered
Default Broke my rear suspension end link

To overcome or put an end to, especially by force or strong opposition: break
.... I broke my arm when I fell. That delicate ornament will break easily. .....
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point ...
points de suspension, (Radio, TV) intermède de publicité, point du jour, aube

Old 05-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by jahid420
To overcome or put an end to, especially by force or strong opposition: break
.... I broke my arm when I fell. That delicate ornament will break easily. .....
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point ...
points de suspension, (Radio, TV) intermède de publicité, point du jour, aube
Dictionary troll is educated.

Anyway, I called some stores and they have to order the part and it is not Moog brand. I'm going to check dealer price and since that will probably be high I will just order the pair online

Old 05-14-2009, 02:32 PM

Was able to get it loose today, but not sure if the link thread is ruined or not. Am currently trying to get off the other side and that **** won't budge at all. Been trying for like 30 minutes. Sprayed a bunch more PB blaster and going to wait a bit. What do I do if I can't crack it? =[

This is such a simple job but a huge pain in the ***...

Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 PM

I was installing my coilovers and really did strip the hex hole now. I bought the moog replacements and have a question about them.

In the package there is the link, two nuts, and these two little metal things. The instructions basically say "Remove and replace" so I'm not sure what to do with these pieces. It appears they would go in the grease hole in the back but in which direction and do I just put it in by hand or what?

Old 07-15-2009, 11:16 PM

Ah... most Moog parts come with grease nipples, put them in with a wrench and tighten them down like any other bolt. Then, either use a grease gun with chassis grease in it and lube them or take it to Midas/Meineke/Jiffy Lube and pay them like $5 to grease them.

Quick Reply: Broke my rear suspension end link