General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

broke wires from distributor cap??? pics included!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default broke wires from distributor cap??? pics included!!!

I have a 2001 accord 4cyl 2.3l coupe. While replacing my heater hose, i broke off 2 of the 4 wires coming out of this grey box. How do I fix this? What is this grey box called?

Attached Thumbnails broke wires from distributor cap??? pics included!!!-photo.jpg   broke wires from distributor cap??? pics included!!!-photo-2-.jpg   broke wires from distributor cap??? pics included!!!-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 06-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Can you take a picture a bit more zoomed out?

From the looks of it, you messed up the distributor.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like you broke the wire harness on the distributor housing for the Cylinder Position Sensor.

You can purchase the distributor housing (OEM or aftermarket) and then transfer the coil, igniter, etc. over (as long as those are not damaged). You do not have to purchase a whole distributor. The CYP sensor is not separately available, only available as part of the distributor housing.

Attached Thumbnails broke wires from distributor cap??? pics included!!!-cyp-sensor.jpg   broke wires from distributor cap??? pics included!!!-distributor-4-p-connector.jpg   broke wires from distributor cap??? pics included!!!-distributor.jpg  
Old 06-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have already taken the piece off, i took the pic last night when I messed it up

Old 06-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

PAhonda and red bull thanks a million for the replies. I was going crazy trying to figure out the piece that I actually needed!!! The only thing that broke were the wires in the grey box. So I would need the grey box and the 4 wires that come out of it. So @ redbull-1, the distributor housing will include both the grey box and 4 wires?

Old 06-30-2012, 06:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you both so much. It was driving me crazy. I could not find this part any where. Red bull, the only thing that broke was the 2 wires coming out of the grey box, everything else is fine. The distributor housing will include the grey box and the 4 wires coming from it?

Old 06-30-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

That grey box was the plug that is part of the distributor. So getting a new distributor housing will fix the problem.

A new distributor housing is around $220 at the dealership. There are some discount OEM parts sites where you can get it cheaper.

You could find one at a junkyard for pretty cheap. car-part.com searches junkyards for parts and you can sort by price or distance.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Does it have to be the same exact housing as what I have?(i.e. brand)

Old 06-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I looked @ distributors on autozone.com, they have a whole distributor for like 200. Would that work? or stick to the Hitachi?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

I try to stick with Honda parts when possible. Especially when dealing with the ignition system.

The online parts stores like hondapartsnow.com and majestic honda sell the distributor housing for ~$170. I'm not sure about the shipping costs.

Quick Reply: broke wires from distributor cap??? pics included!!!