General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Bolts while removing brake rotor

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 11:07 PM
Default Broken Bolts while removing brake rotor

Hey Guys,

I had started having a problem with significant pulsing/vibration when braking. I Decided to try to replace the rotors. I found this tutorial which seemed pretty conprehensive:

I got up to about 18:05 in the video ; taking out the four bolts on the back of the rotor. They were very difficult so I put on some pb blaster and waited an hour or so. I tried again with a 12 inch breaker bar. The first bolt came off correctly - the other three not so much. They broke at various lengths.

Can anyone recommend some kind of tool to get the bolt out? It is broken off down in the hole, so anything that grabs at the top will not work. Does anyone know where I can buy these type of replacement bolts? Does the rest of the tutorial look viable?

Thanks for reading

Old 12-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You will need to disconnect axle shaft and remove shaft to access the wheel bearing/front hub assy. You will need to replace the wheel bearing assy which contains the broken off bolt ends. Cost is not too bad.

Check DIY forum for links to download manuals.

good luck

Old 12-12-2016, 06:01 PM

Hi TexasHonda,

Thanks for the reply. I have a few questions still. The bolt ends that broke off seem to be actual bolts and not studs - it would seem that I could replace them individually, unless you are just letting me know that trying to extract the broken bolts is too much effort to be worth it.

For the replacement, from a quick google search I find this: http://www.carparts.com/details/Hond...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

Is this the correct item?

Finally, I can not press the rotor using the method in the video because of the bolts that are stuck in the holes - how else can I get it off?

Thank you!

Old 12-12-2016, 08:53 PM

It may be difficult to extract the broken bolt ends or not. The part is available. see attached pic from rockauto.

With bolts broken the assy can be removed with hammer once axle is removed. It may be bound in the knuckle by rust (bigger hammer).

good luck

Attached Thumbnails Broken Bolts while removing brake rotor-h513098_bac.jpg  
Old 12-13-2016, 07:19 PM

Hi TexasHonda,

Ok, I shall try to order some of the bearings, remove the knuckle, and bash the bearing out with a hammer. I believe I will still need the replacement bolts as well, do you know what they are called? I have read over the service manual but information about the rotor/hub seems to be rather limited!

Thanks for reading

Old 12-14-2016, 09:54 AM

I have purchased replacement bolts (not the same ones) from Honda parts. They have more complete parts lists/diagrams.

good luck

Old 12-14-2016, 11:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I have purchased replacement bolts (not the same ones) from Honda parts. They have more complete parts lists/diagrams.

good luck
The hub bolts are available thru Honda. The part number is; 90164-SM4-103, bolt, FR.Hub Unit (10X40).

Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for helping me try to figure this out. I am stuck a bit again. After 4-5 hours of various...methods...I managed to separate the rotor/hub from the rest of the arm. However unlike I expected the bearing piece (that you suggested for me to buy) was so rusted onto the knuckle that instead of coming off the bearing itself came apart and now I need to somehow get the rest of the bearing out of the knuckle. I am mostly stuck with what kind of device I can use to hold the knuckle while trying to bash out the bearing - that shape is just very weird, I have no idea. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks for reading.

Attached Thumbnails Broken Bolts while removing brake rotor-img_20161229_233741_zpspqxgagpz.jpg   Broken Bolts while removing brake rotor-img_20161229_233749_zpsrqj7mr9e.jpg   Broken Bolts while removing brake rotor-img_20161229_233645_zpsjjhhwjnv.jpg   Broken Bolts while removing brake rotor-img_20161229_233721_zpspgr50dld.jpg  
Old 12-30-2016, 05:47 AM

I got a pipe coupling with a plug in it about the same size as the outer part of bearing and beat mine out

Old 12-30-2016, 11:04 AM

An air hammer w/ a needle point may be able to reach the bolt ends and vibrate the hub from the knuckle. Move from one bolt to opposite diagonal bolt to gradually drive out hub.

Driving hub out with a large socket will require cribbing to support the knuckle so force is applied to remove hub from knuckle.

good luck

Quick Reply: Broken Bolts while removing brake rotor