General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Default Broken Timing Belt

Great news tonight on the way home I had the honor and privelage of spinning my crank pulley and breaking my tomomg belt. I opened the hood in hopes of finding a broken alt belt but to my dismay(and not suprise) BOTH belts were infact in one peice yeah I dont have to buy new belts. pulley was indeed spun (well atleast I wont have to use a 6 foot breaker bar to loosen the bolt) see not all bad news at this point. I figure what the hell I'll drive it home on the battery, again not all bad news, until now,rep,rep,rep,rep,rep. the dreader crankshaft free spin olso know as S**T interference motor. you feel me! I took the oil cap off and had Jamie turn it over no rocker movement. now that I have entertained you with this wonderful story and visions of days past standing on the side of the road. what is the likely hood that something is damaged and how do I check. Thank you for helping

Old 02-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Default RE: Broken Timing Belt

The likily hood that something is damgae is pretty high. But you might have gotten off lucky and none of the vavles clashed with the pistons. If it is damge it might be a better idea to just buy a whole new motor and put it in there. it might end up cheaper the replacing parts of it. Anyway just curiuos how many miles did the engine have on it.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Drain the oil, pull the pan, look for shiny objects.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:04 AM

Well 181000 on motor 80000+ on timing belt found a motor a few hours away for 200 50000 mi on it230 shipped to me so 430 for a enging to my door definately the cheapest way to go

Old 02-14-2008, 11:08 AM

ORIGINAL: bbarrow79

I took the oil cap off and had Jamie turn it over no rocker movement.
If your timing belt was broken the rockers will not move by turning the crank.... That engine sounds like a good price but I'd also suggest you pull the head to see just how bad it is before you start pouring money into something else...

Old 02-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I had a similar incident and had a mechanic use a borescope to inspect the pistonheads for damage. I knew the valves were damaged due to missing after restablishing the timing belt. Pistons were OK, so I rebuilt the head.

good luck

Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 AM

well going to go and pull the valve cover and drain the oil. go from there I really dont want to have to pull the head. take about as long to do that as it will to have the enging oulled lol my buddy has a 92 accord and over 2 months he went through 4 engines got to where the both of us could have it ready to pull in 30 min. so I figure the 98 arent that much different setups so should only take an hour and a half or so to have it pulled

Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 PM

Time aside the cost of a new motor vs. repairing what is possibly a minor issue is big. Then again, if you've got the cash then buy the new motor, put it in, tear the head off the old one, fix it and re-sell it for a few hundred or so... Or do a major build on it while it's out of the car... Tear it down, sleeve it, new pistons, balance the crank, new cams, port and polish the head etc....

Old 02-14-2008, 08:53 PM

Oh happy day!!!!!! well after draining the oil there was little to no shavings in the oil the tb did not break yeah however when the pulley spun the key slid out of the timing gear keyway thus no rocker movement. I comp.tested 120-138 across the board not perfect but for 181000 excellent. So I figure since I have it tore down this far may as well do the tb service. the 50000 mi motor for 200 I just cant pass up. So Thank you everybody it has been fun. oh and since i spun the key and all the pulleys are now out of sync how do I determine true tdc for all the gears and not 180 out

Old 02-22-2008, 11:47 PM

Well its running again and as long as the rps are above 1500 it runs great below that is misses and lops. any idears of what that could be[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Quick Reply: Broken Timing Belt