Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Broken or unattached heater control cable? (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/broken-unattached-heater-control-cable-1467/)

Tony1M 01-24-2008 08:26 PM

RE: Broken or unattached heater control cable?

1 Attachment(s)
Does your heater control look like this?
Attachment 23071

iamgooderer 01-26-2008 08:07 PM

yes thats wat mine looks like

Tony1M 01-27-2008 12:16 PM

On the right side of the DRIVER's footwell, near the end of the plastic console, you can see the various linkages that the air-direction-slider controls.

Get your head down there and look at those linkages as you operate the air-direction-slider. Make sure that there's some linkage movement as you operate the slider.

Let us know what you observe.

Good luck.

iamgooderer 01-27-2008 02:45 PM

well i looked and the cable was disconnected. i connected it. now i can only get the face and feet to work it wont go all the way over to the defroster. i tried with a little force.. not too much and it still wont go over. i actually have to adjust it from the bottom not the lever. but even that way it wont go over to the defroster. any ideas or should i just replace?

Tony1M 01-27-2008 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: iamgooderer

well i looked and the cable was disconnected. i connected it. now i can only get the face and feet to work it wont go all the way over to the defroster. i tried with a little force.. not too much and it still wont go over. i actually have to adjust it from the bottom not the lever. but even that way it wont go over to the defroster. any ideas or should i just replace?
Well, things are getting a bit better, right?:)

Are you saying that the cable will now control air-direction somewhat,but that it will not go to either defrost position? That is,when you're using the slider control on the dash, will it go as far as the "feet + defroster" (second from rightmost)position?

From what you've said, I'm not exactly sure if the cable is attached or not attached when you tried to manually move the linkage from below (when you still could notget defrost air alone). So, to clear up my confusion -when you disconnect the cable from the linkageandoperate the linkage entirelyby hand,can you thenget a big flow of defrost air alone? If you can, then it's a cable or slider problem.

If you cannot, then it's a linkage problem. There are several sliding, rotating, interlockedpieces in that linkage. I believe that it's possible that something may have slipped out of position or, less likely,broken.

A couple of other questions to narrow down the possibilities, when the cable is disconnected from the linkage, does the slider then move freely all the way to the defroster position? If it does, take a look at the linkage end of the cable. Is there any cable still poking out from the end of the cable housing/casing?

(As far as replacing anything yet, it's better to narrow down the problem a bit more first.)

iamgooderer 01-27-2008 11:11 PM

yeah they're gettin a lil better i can now toast my feet a bit!

when the cable is free the slider moves all the way to the defrost position, but once the cable is on, it only goes half way. when i move it manually, it also only goes to the feet and head, not to the defroster. so yeah when its disconnected i still only get to use half the function of the heater. i havent looked at the cable in detail but it appears ok but i will look at it further to see what else may be wrong.
by the way i appreciate the help!

Tony1M 01-28-2008 12:34 AM

Just another thought.

You sound like you live in a cold climate.

Have you tried moving the linkage by hand to get full defrostafter the engine andheater have been running for quite some time? Maybe something's frozen stuck, soit might be worthwhile to let the heater really get everything nice and warm under there before trying tomove the linkage over to full defrost.

(We're -18 F in Edmonton tonight, so that's why I had the thought.)

iamgooderer 01-30-2008 10:26 AM

oh no it gets no where near that cold! i think the coldest i gets here is aroung 45f.. thats considered cold! well i guess im going to have to look around here for the linkage assembly and assembly to the heater because i cant get it to work properly. but again thanks for your help!

drummer1279 01-30-2008 07:30 PM

in regards to the cable, I had the same problem on my '92. all i did was go under the dash and take the flap cable and tie it to the valve cable, andJB welded them together,now they both work great

Trickster 03-17-2008 09:04 PM

Some interesting comments.
I have a 92 Accord EX-R and have owned it for 6 months.
I just noticed that I can't adjust the heat! Its on full on any setting. hadn't noticed before because its been cold and I have wanted the heat on. Doesn't matter even if I turn the heat down to the lowest, it comes out HOT!
I imagine its a similar case to the others here, in that the cable could be stuck, except mines hot and not cold like others are mentioning here, so will have a look this weekend.
If anyone thinks it could be something else or has any suggestions would be good to hear!
Thanks