General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken or unattached heater control cable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Default Broken or unattached heater control cable?

This is on my '91 EX, auto. The hot /cold switch is not working--there is no resistance at all until it get 3/4 to the hot level where it stops. Everthing looks OK under the hood--cable is attached to heater valve, etc and can operate by hand but the inside switch does not move it at all. What happened?? Did it break or just become disconected?? More importantly how expensive to fix--I'm not sure I want to tackle this unless it's an easy fix. I remember reading about switching out these cables Appreciate any feedback on this!!!

Old 12-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Default RE: Broken or unattached heater control cable?

Anybody??

Old 12-25-2005, 03:47 PM

Hi, I just joined this forum to find out any information I could about this subject.

We own a 92 Accord and ever since Day 1 we had a problem with the heater temparature control. Maybe your EX is the same way.

I think the problem is that whatever rubber or sealing compound that the flapper seals against when the selector is in the coldest, or off, position, hardens in cold weather. The cable mechanism simply is not rugged enough to "break free" the flapper from that position, and it ends up bending, coming loose, and eventually failing.

We paid Honda to fix the thing once and it cost us a pretty penny and then the thing failed again the next year of cold weather. I ended up disengaging the cable and now I reach under the dash and operate the little lever by hand. Even by hand, the lever can be very difficult to move. I find that the easiest way to accomplish the task is to warm up the engine FIRST, before attempting any adjustment of the temperature control - particularly if the weather is cold. Then I nudge the lever and, if it resists, I just wait another couple of minutes and then try again. Usually it then moves easily.

I just happened to be at a local body shop one day looking at a truck they had for sale. The guy at the shop saw my car and asked if we were going to be selling it in the near future, because his daughter needed a good car for school. I replied "no", but it reminded me of our heater temp control and I asked him if he had ever seen this problem on Accords of that year. He said that he had done much work on Accords of that year and that they ALL have this problem.

I just checked out the TSB's and didn't find any mention of this problem.

I find it hard to believe that Honda doesn't know all about this.

Check that cable to make sure it isn't bent and sloppy.

Good luck.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:59 AM
Administrator

Honker HI! Ive not had any such problems with my car but Tony1M seems to have done some research on your very problem...

I think both of you together should draft up a letter together and bring it up to HONDA's boys from the service department...post us if you get help and find a way to fix the problem...

Merry Christmas...
WheelBrokerAng

[IMG]local://upfiles/22/B17BF631B328461687BE33E66DE3A964.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-26-2005, 03:50 AM

ORIGINAL: WheelBrokerAng

Honker HI! Ive not had any such problems with my car but Tony1M seems to have done some research on your very problem...

I think both of you together should draft up a letter together and bring it up to HONDA's boys from the service department...post us if you get help and find a way to fix the problem...

Merry Christmas...
WheelBrokerAng

Thanks for the input.

I'm a complete newcomer to this site, so I'm not sure what you are advising. I understand the "get together and write letter" part, but then - which "Honda boys" at which service department? Some national Honda center?

I'm a Canadian, by the way. Maybe this would change your advice.

Thanks again.

Tony

Old 01-22-2006, 03:19 AM
Administrator

EH...sorry about that..
Your Honda Service Center for your area up in Canada will be glad to help you out..

WheelBrokerAng....Eh...

ORIGINAL: Tony1M

ORIGINAL: WheelBrokerAng

Merry Christmas...
WheelBrokerAng

Thanks for the input.

I'm a complete newcomer to this site, so I'm not sure what you are advising. I understand the "get together and write letter" part, but then - which "Honda boys" at which service department? Some national Honda center?

I'm a Canadian, by the way. Maybe this would change your advice.

Thanks again.

Tony

Old 01-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

well the cable is easy to replace. no big deal at all. but i think everything is easy to fix on a honda

lightshow

Old 01-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: honker3

This is on my '91 EX, auto. The hot /cold switch is not working--there is no resistance at all until it get 3/4 to the hot level where it stops. Everthing looks OK under the hood--cable is attached to heater valve, etc and can operate by hand but the inside switch does not move it at all. What happened?? Did it break or just become disconected?? More importantly how expensive to fix--I'm not sure I want to tackle this unless it's an easy fix. I remember reading about switching out these cables Appreciate any feedback on this!!!
possably the plastic piece that holds the heater cable in the heater control panel broke off,or the gear came out of sync i have seen both happen a few times...as a matter of facts there is a bulletin or service news on how to replace that gear .........
before you do anything,, pull out the heater **** and make sure it is not broken, if it is install a new **** and retry, if **** is ok,,,,,,,
try this.......disconnect cable from heater valve under the hood, ,,on rt side, lower center dash ( end of center console ) there is a black plastic cover . remove it, very easy just pull out the plastic plug, that,s where the inner heater cable is, disconnect it from there as well. now turn the **** and watch how far the cable will travel , it should extend and retract fully,,, if not,, it could be what i have said ,,,,, heater control needs to come out and repaired ,,,,if that's the case you might want to have a honda tech do it ,

Old 01-23-2006, 02:24 AM
Administrator

DesertHonda...Now that is Great Reporting for all of us members..

Thank You!

WheelBrokerAng[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 01-24-2008, 10:58 AM
iamgooderer
Unregistered

my heater contol works fine. the only thing is i cant direct where its going. i cant put the heat on the floor or throuth the top vents it only comes out the middle... any ideas how to fix? ps its a 91 DX!

Quick Reply: Broken or unattached heater control cable?