General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bucking while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Bucking while driving

The plugs were installed several months before the problem started happening, so the problem arose after the plugs were put in there.

I will buy the NGKs you mentioned. It will be a cheap test/fix to verify if the Irridium plugs are crap for Accords.

The only thing that I can remember doing before the problem started happening was trying to loosen the O2 sensor with no luck. I didn't try too hard, but used the special socket and briefly tried a 22mm wrench.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:53 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

there is no vacc at the rear motor mount , once the idle speed is over 700 rpm,,,(AT tranny ),,,,,,to chk for a bad motor mount, put a floor jack under the tranny and raise car up a bit, look at the mount if there is a crack or split in it ......

and to replace it 1 does not have to remove the manifold,, 1 can do it from under the car... if you cross that bridge i will tell you how to replace it

but that is not the problem you are experiencing anyways

Old 12-01-2006, 03:37 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

Im gonna throw this out there because no one else has, but could it possibly be clogged EGR ports?

Old 12-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yes it could Poser,, a bad egr valve as well could do it

Old 12-04-2006, 12:32 AM

Fuel filters?

Weak fuel pump?

Old 12-04-2006, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

I cleaned out the egr ports about a year ago. They were pretty clogged. How long does it take for them to clog? I didn't clean out the EGR valve yet. Are there any precautions when doing this?

As for the fuel pressrue, I need to make an adapter that will fit into the fuel rail, unless someone knows where to buy the right adapter (its 12x1.25 right?)

Old 01-27-2007, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I did a lot of work on my car over the holidays, and the bucking hasn't come back in over a month.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while regarding this thread. I hope this can help someone else with a similiar problem.

I am a graduate student, so I live in an apt. Over X-Mas at my parents house, I did a lot of work on my car (new timing belt, etc). The miss was still there after the timing belt change. After heating the O2 sensor for ~15 min with a torch, it came out immediately from the intermediate pipe. Replaced with an "OEM" NGK sensor that was mispriced at $50 on their website. I also found that the spark plug in cylinder 3 was corroded with white oxidized metal on the ground (bent) electrode (I suspected a lean fuel mixture from the list of causes). I replaced the fuel injectors with cheap used ones off of Ebay for $20. I am going to send the originals out soon to get flow tested and balanced. All the resistances were within spec for each fuel injector. The EGR ports on the manifold were still unobstructed.

The bucking is gone, so I am not sure if it was the O2 sensor or a plugged fuel injector. Since the timing belt job took me a while (my first time), I had to replace multiple components at one time. I will try to report back with the results of the fuel injectors. I can't wait until I gradutate, so I can troubleshoot one item at a time.

The fuel filter was replaced about a year ago, so I didn't suspect a problem with that.

Thanks for all of your help, I certainly appreciate it.
John

Old 03-06-2007, 01:31 PM
flamedstang95
Unregistered

had the same problem back in summer of 06, did everything you mentioned and it didn't make the problem any better. Turned out to be a bad fuel pump. Never thought it was, but, it took taking it to the Honda dealership to figure it out. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

So far, the problem hasn't come back.

It always happened when the car would get close to normal operating temp, so either it was the O2 sensor not kicking in quickly or the fuel injectors leaking. When I get the flow tests back from the injectors, I'll have a better idea of what is going on.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Fez

I'm very interested to see the final outcome of this because my car is doing the EXACT same thing. So far I've only replaced plug wires, plugs, fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor... I'm new to this, so when I went to check my injectors I stopped because I was afraid of spilling fuel all over. I was just going to disconnect them one by one to see if one of them is bad, but an overall cleaning would be a good idea I think anyway. I think I'll take the car in to the shop again this week and have them do a complete fuel system service, clean injectors and rail and test flow, all that stuff.

In any case, please let us know what happens!

Quick Reply: Bucking while driving