General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper and Side Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Bumper and Side Scratches

Had a little accident backing out the garage (stupid me >.< !!!), how much do you think it'll cost to repair this? I went to maaco and after a little haggling he drops it down to $450 is that a good deal?

Old 08-30-2011, 02:32 PM
Almost A Senior Member

It really doesn't look too badly scratched at all...Looks more like some surface scuff marks. I would give the area a couple of good coats of Meguires Scratch Fix or TR3 Resin Glaze and buff very well each coat. You may need so minor touch up on the bumper edges. As for the Maaco estimate, that isn't too bad, but again, I would really look into detailing the damaged area first. Talk to a auto detailer and get his impression of the repairs needed.

Last edited by bigpat; 08-30-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by bigpat
It really doesn't look too badly scratched at all...Looks more like some surface scuff marks. I would give the area a couple of good coats of Meguires Scratch Fix or TR3 Resin Glaze and buff very well each coat. You may need so minor touch up on the bumper edges. As for the Maaco estimate, that isn't too bad, but again, I would really look into detailing the damaged area first. Talk to a auto detailer and get his impression of the repairs needed.
Thanks, I'll try and look into the Meguire scratch fix and see if I can fix the scratch myself, if not then i'll probably give my car to the guys at Maaco.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

I would be more concerned about the metal panel that was scratched. Look to see if the scratches are deep enough to expose bare metal. That exposed metal would lead to rusting later. I can't tell for sure from the picture, but it looks like that is not the case.

The plastic bumper looks like it took the brunt of the damage. That part won't rust, so you have to decide how perfect you want the paint to look. Using a polish with a random orbital polisher may make it look pretty decent. The two nicks in the bumper near the rear tire would still be there.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

the metal panel wasn't scratched that deep, but if i trace my finger along the scratch I would notice that it's dented a little bit. is that a bad thing?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Having a dent will not cause you any problems. It all depends on how picky you are with the car's finish. It looks like you can buff out the scratches and it will look pretty decent. A body shop may not charge you much to try this.

If you don't like how the buffed paint looks, then you can have them do the more expensive repair.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies

K, I'll talk to the mechanic to see and if he doesn't offer that I'll take the expensive repair

Old 08-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

I bet you can make it look tons better with a $5 bottle of scratch-polishing stuff. After you do that, then you can decide if it's worth hundreds of $$$.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well the thing is I have no knowledge about cars whatsoever so I'm leaning toward going to a professional right now

Old 08-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Might stop by a "detail" shop, or two, and see what they say, as far a price for trying to buff/rub it out, vs. what the body shop says....just a thought that might save a penny or two on a "can I live with this" type of thing.

Very low part of the bumper looks like a "tear" in the plastic, might not be much a buff/rub could do with that....again, as stated, depends on what you can "live with".

Wahtever you choose, best of lick.

Quick Reply: Bumper and Side Scratches