General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Burning smell coming from vent???

Old 05-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Default Burning smell coming from vent???

hi everyone, i have a 97 accord lx v6, it has around 80k miles. my question is if anyone in here ever came accross a strong burning smell coming from the vent which i'm sure came from under the hood. i get this smell when i make a u-turn or rough turning. i first notice this when i made a u to park, i thought it came from outside, but when i open my door no smell outside. I'm thinking maybe my power streering. anyone have any idea. thanks.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Default RE: Burning smell coming from vent???

only time i ever had that was when i fried the clutch, cant think why the power steering would give a burning smell!?

Old 05-17-2005, 10:39 PM

Sounds like a clutch smell to me...does it still smell fromt the vent if you use recycled air button?

Old 05-18-2005, 03:29 PM

now both of you (habeel & burn69) thinks that it's my clutch, u could be right. making a u-turn is the only time i have to change gear from forward to reverse then forward again. does that mean my clutch is getting ready to die?

no, if i have my recycle air on it does not smell.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:55 PM

Could be...mine stunk like hell, when it went out.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:42 PM

wow..that means money going out again, i just had my timing belt done. .how much do they usually cost to have the clutch done? thanks for everybodys help.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: aang

wow..that means money going out again, i just had my timing belt done. .how much do they usually cost to have the clutch done? thanks for everybodys help.
if you're going to put in a clutch from the posts of those 2 guys - I will freak out

theres so many stuff that can smell - starting from the exaust leak..

....but what the heck - you wanna be a parts changer - can't help you... [:'(] [:'(] [:'(]

Old 05-19-2005, 02:48 AM

no..no..no! i'm not going to just change my clutch just because of this forum. this is just a place to start investigating. i'm pretty sure it can be a lot of things like you said. the exhaust leak will probably smell like smoke rather than burning won't it?

Old 05-19-2005, 12:24 PM

i found that the clutch only gives the burnig smell when you dont balance the gas and clutch properly; giving lots of revs and riding the biting point tends to burn it out fast. and thats when i normally notice the smell; have you checked what revs you do when you pull away slowly or are turning - i tend to keep it to about 1000-1200 depending on the gradient of the road - i know some people that shoot up to 2000revs or over just pulling away slowly bringing the clutch up-

if your clutch control is good, it may not be the clutch thats burning (unless your doing launch starts- thatll kill the clutch good)

Old 05-19-2005, 01:46 PM

hi habeel, i have an automatic transmission, will that give me the same problem?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Burning smell coming from vent???