Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Burning Smell When Idling - '94 Accord Sedan LX (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/burning-smell-when-idling-94-accord-sedan-lx-59388/)

cukaracha 06-20-2014 11:36 PM

Burning Smell When Idling - '94 Accord Sedan LX

Hello,

I noticed recently that my '94 Accord Sedan LX (manual trans) has a burning smell that can be smelled in the cabin after driving around for awhile and then stopping. I'm not exactly sure how to describe the smell, but it's kind of a mix between oil and rubber burning.

I haven't been able to pin point where the smell is coming from, but I do drive with the windows down and the A/C off, if that's any indication of anything. I don't smell the burning smell when moving, only when the car is idling. I'm pretty sure my muffler also needs work as it is quite a bit louder than it should be.

Any suggestions as to where I should start troubleshooting?

Thanks!

TexasHonda 06-21-2014 09:02 AM

Watch your coolant level. If it's decreasing, you have a coolant leak. A cold pressure test of cooling system should ID leak. Check rear of timing belt cover for water pump drain port. Significant leakage would indicate need for a new water pump.

Watch for oil drips on cardboard piece placed under car. If oil drips, you will need to trace their location by observation of key leak sites, oil pan, rear balance shaft cover (leaks from bottom of lower timing belt cover), distributor oring where distributor meets cylinder head, valve cover seam, oil pressure switch.

good luck

WheelBrokerAng 06-21-2014 11:32 PM

T H Has The Best Answer For This. :)

Originally Posted by TexasHonda (Post 347126)
Watch your coolant level. If it's decreasing, you have a coolant leak. A cold pressure test of cooling system should ID leak. Check rear of timing belt cover for water pump drain port. Significant leakage would indicate need for a new water pump.

Watch for oil drips on cardboard piece placed under car. If oil drips, you will need to trace their location by observation of key leak sites, oil pan, rear balance shaft cover (leaks from bottom of lower timing belt cover), distributor oring where distributor meets cylinder head, valve cover seam, oil pressure switch.

good luck

I would check out what TexasHonda put in the post above.. I belive he's right on. :)

MessAround 06-22-2014 01:08 AM

Also check your exhaust system for any thing stuck to it. If a plastic bag happens to blow under the car while the exhaust is hot it could stick and melt on, then you'll smell this for a while.

cukaracha 06-22-2014 11:13 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I noticed the oil leaks, so I brought my car over to an auto shop to have them check it out. Turns out, the oil pressure sensor is shot...

JimBlake 06-22-2014 08:30 PM

That's not very uncommon... & it drips onto the exhaust. Thanks.