General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Burning Smell When Idling - '94 Accord Sedan LX

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Default Burning Smell When Idling - '94 Accord Sedan LX

Hello,

I noticed recently that my '94 Accord Sedan LX (manual trans) has a burning smell that can be smelled in the cabin after driving around for awhile and then stopping. I'm not exactly sure how to describe the smell, but it's kind of a mix between oil and rubber burning.

I haven't been able to pin point where the smell is coming from, but I do drive with the windows down and the A/C off, if that's any indication of anything. I don't smell the burning smell when moving, only when the car is idling. I'm pretty sure my muffler also needs work as it is quite a bit louder than it should be.

Any suggestions as to where I should start troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Watch your coolant level. If it's decreasing, you have a coolant leak. A cold pressure test of cooling system should ID leak. Check rear of timing belt cover for water pump drain port. Significant leakage would indicate need for a new water pump.

Watch for oil drips on cardboard piece placed under car. If oil drips, you will need to trace their location by observation of key leak sites, oil pan, rear balance shaft cover (leaks from bottom of lower timing belt cover), distributor oring where distributor meets cylinder head, valve cover seam, oil pressure switch.

good luck

Old 06-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Administrator
Talking T H Has The Best Answer For This. :)

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Watch your coolant level. If it's decreasing, you have a coolant leak. A cold pressure test of cooling system should ID leak. Check rear of timing belt cover for water pump drain port. Significant leakage would indicate need for a new water pump.

Watch for oil drips on cardboard piece placed under car. If oil drips, you will need to trace their location by observation of key leak sites, oil pan, rear balance shaft cover (leaks from bottom of lower timing belt cover), distributor oring where distributor meets cylinder head, valve cover seam, oil pressure switch.

good luck
I would check out what TexasHonda put in the post above.. I belive he's right on.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:08 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Also check your exhaust system for any thing stuck to it. If a plastic bag happens to blow under the car while the exhaust is hot it could stick and melt on, then you'll smell this for a while.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:13 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I noticed the oil leaks, so I brought my car over to an auto shop to have them check it out. Turns out, the oil pressure sensor is shot...

Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

That's not very uncommon... & it drips onto the exhaust. Thanks.