General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord random misfires and burning smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 94 Accord random misfires and burning smell

Had the Accord out to run it for a bit as it had been sitting before I got it apparently. I know the Vtech solenoid is leaky if that helps, there are a few small oil leaks but not a big deal.

I have let the car warm up a few times and took it down the street once or twice and it seemed fine, since I have had it home I had it out the other day and it just died out of nowhere. Then I couldnt replicate the issue.

Today I had it out and it would misfire or try to stall or something randomly. some worse than others and it would go a minute without one then a few then more spread out etc. The exhaust smells a little funny like it might be rich. Anyway I figure it could just be old gas. I let it run for a while longer and I got a terrible burning smell that I could smell in the air vents and it almost smelled like burning electrical or something. As best I could tell it smelled like it was coming from the timing belt area or perhaps down below in that area.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest some inspection before something breaks catastrophcally.

1) Is check engine light on? If yes, go to DIY forum for directions on extracting the code/s.

2) Pull upper timing belt cover and rotate engine by crankshaft pulley bolt to inspect all the timing belt for damage. Peer down inside the lower timing belt cover to look for anything that may be broken.

3) Check coolant, oil, brake fluid, and trans fluid levels carefully to see if you are losing any fluid. Loss of coolant could indicate a head gasket failing.

good luck

Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

No check engine light,

Havent pulled the timing belt cover yet but I will here soon.

Coolant is good, oil is a little low but I knew that and now coolant in the oil.

I let it sit for a couple hours and started back at it and it doesnt miss, The car had been sitting for a month before witha full tank of gas, I was testing the brakes and stopping sorta hard prior to the missing being noticed. I figure maybe water/ dirt in the gas?

I think the burning smell is a belt perhaps, I was turning the AC on and off when I noticed the smell out of nowhere. Someone said the clutch is likely messed up

Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Coolant in oil is serious and can damage the engine quickly. Head gasket needs replacement asap.

good luck

Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I meant no, not now sorry lol.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:32 PM

The A/C clutch could be the culprit of the smell you may try and remove the belt and make sure the pulley moves freely. Turn the A/C on with the hood up you'll probably see some smoke coming from it after a couple seconds if that is where the problem is coming from. My A/C has a bad clutch and it will smoke/stink after a couple seconds, I ended up just pulling the electrical plug on so it would not kick on.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It was sorta smelling bad the whole time but i dont think its blowing out cold air anymore now that im thinking about it. Can you repair just the clutch or will it likely need a whole new unit?

Old 05-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

If the compressor is seized, that would explain the clutch burning up when you switch on the AC. In that case you'll need a compressor.

OTOH, if the AC clutch is simply slipping, then the compressor might be OK. I don't know if you can just change the clutch on a 94... But I think you can adjust a shim pack so it doesn't slip.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If the compressor is seized, that would explain the clutch burning up when you switch on the AC. In that case you'll need a compressor.

OTOH, if the AC clutch is simply slipping, then the compressor might be OK. I don't know if you can just change the clutch on a 94... But I think you can adjust a shim pack so it doesn't slip.
From what I have read it can be done, I just have no experience with it. It was blowing out cold air before and since this has happened it has not which would lead me to believe that the compressor is good. I thought about just replacing the whole thing given the age and mileage on the car. Might be about 200 bucks but it will assure me a good cold car. I plan on driving this daily as I have put 35k on my Fit in one year.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by pouncer11
From what I have read it can be done, I just have no experience with it. It was blowing out cold air before and since this has happened it has not which would lead me to believe that the compressor is good. I thought about just replacing the whole thing given the age and mileage on the car. Might be about 200 bucks but it will assure me a good cold car. I plan on driving this daily as I have put 35k on my Fit in one year.
I was never able to get a tool to remove the clutch when I tried this was about 5 years ago, sure they exist but I couldn't find one. Id be interested if someone knows of one as my clutch smokes a lot when it engages. You can get a used compressor for about $50 at a junkyard that was what I did about 5 years ago unfortunately it seems messed up again.

You should check and make sure the bearing on the compressor is not seized you'll get stuck on the road at some point if it is, even if your not using the A/C.

Last edited by moey; 05-16-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 94 Accord random misfires and burning smell