General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a used Accord today, have a question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Default Buying a used Accord today, have a question.

Hi Guys and Ladies,
I'm looking to buy a used car, today. I went to a reliable site and found a post that I have a question about. here is the post as I read it:

UP FOR SALE IS THIS LIKE NEW 2004 HONDA ACCORD. THIS CAR IS VERY RELIABLE AND HAS NEVER FAILED ME. THIS CAR HAS 200K ON IT RUNS AND DRIVES LIKE NEW. IT IS A 4CYLINDER HONDA ACCORD SO YOU KNOW IT SAVES YOU GAS AND THEY LAST FOREVER. THE LADY I GOT IT FROM TOLD ME THE ENGINE WAS REPLACED WHEN IT HAD ABOUT 180K ON IT AND THAT JUST TOLD ME WHY THE CAR DRIVES LIKE NEW. THE ENGINE WAS REPLACED WITH A BRAND NEW ENGINE SO TECHNICALLY THE ENGINE HAS ONLY 30K ON IT. THIS CAR HAS NO MECHANICAL ISSUES AT ALL. I CAN BE REACHED AT

Now the pic of the car is gorgeous inside and out, but I need to know if this is worth it. He's asking for $4400, and of course I'll run a carfax report on it, but am I buying problems? Does this mean the engine has only 30K miles? Is there anything I should know, before hand? I love Accords, my last one was a 97 special Ed., and I wish I could have it back, but it's totaled. Is this car worth it? If there is anyone out there who can throw some info my way, or questions I should ask, please help me out. I really can not afford to buy a Lemon. Thanks Everyone, Jason W.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

its always a little questionable buying a car with a replaced engine. You are really just taking their word on how many miles are on it. Also I don't know of anywhere where you could buy a "brand new" engine with 0 miles on it. Its far more likely it came out of a totaled accord

Old 11-24-2012, 05:32 PM

I recently purchased a 2001 accord with 225K miles on it. I took it to my local mechanic and asked them to do a buyer's inspection. ($90) They found several issues but none were uncorrectable. I only paid $2500 for the car but repairs were around $2000. local used car lots were listing cars that needed brakes and shocks for more than $5000, so I think I got a pretty good deal.

Check edmunds and kbb for retail value. (There is a premium on used cars right now, so retail will actually be a little bit above that.) then subtract the cost of the required repairs from the retail cost and that will let you know if you're getting a good deal.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 PM

Id be very careful the new engine thing would turn me away. Like someone said earlier its not new. So that makes you wonder if its just ignorance on the sellers part or they are trying to pass something off for something its not.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Administrator

It's all in the feeling you get from a car..buyers beware on any car you purchase anywhere's from anyone..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 11-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Based on a google text search of the verbiage, the Baltimore CL seller's number pops up with a history of numerous ads selling various makes of cars. Just saying...

Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator
Talking

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Based on a google text search of the verbiage, the Baltimore CL seller's number pops up with a history of numerous ads selling various makes of cars. Just saying...
Sounds like a Better Watch Out Ad To Me RedBull

Old 11-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
Sounds like a Better Watch Out Ad To Me RedBull
Yep.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

You can buy a NEW engine from a dealer parts counter. But its so expensive that nobody does that. Too easy to get from a junkyard instead.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Default Thanks All of You.

Thank you, to everyone who replied to my post. I value each and everyone of your opinions and knowledgeable experience. The general consensus that I'm getting from all of your comments, is leave it alone. Well, for the first time in my life,. I'm gonna listen. I didn't like the sound of the sellers voice and responses to my questions over the phone, anyway. As I said, i really can not afford to buy a lemon right now, or ever for that matter. But again, Thanks. this is what I love about this forum, one topic; Accords, and tons of knowledge from all over.

Quick Reply: Buying a used Accord today, have a question.