General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C commpressor relay not gettinng power

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 11:22 AM
Unhappy A/C commpressor relay not gettinng power

Hey! as the weather is turning hotter, i would like my A/C turned on, but the relay for the magnet cllutch won't turn on. I can force the relay on with a wire, so the MC thinnks the relay is on, and then the compressor works, and i gett cold air, but this is not a long term solution.
I have tested my relay, and it works.

i measured for volts over the relay when A/C is turned on vs off, and both measures to 0V. anyone have any advice?

Old 06-25-2021, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

It would help to know what kind of car you're talking about. 1979 Accord? 2021 Accord?

There's usually pressure switches in the AC system that block the relay from being energized if the refrigerant is too low (or too high). The specifics vary a lot between those 2 years.

Old 06-25-2021, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
It would help to know what kind of car you're talking about. 1979 Accord? 2021 Accord?

There's usually pressure switches in the AC system that block the relay from being energized if the refrigerant is too low (or too high). The specifics vary a lot between those 2 years.
its an 2009 CU3 hope this helps

Old 06-25-2021, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

I'd suggest starting at the relay for some electrical testing.

How many pins are on the a/c relay? If there are 4 pins, two of the pins on the relay should be larger and better metal (like copper). The other 2 pins will be a cheaper alloy metal.

Hook your black lead on your volt meter to ground. Unplug the relay and start the car. Use the red volt meter lead to measure voltage on the relay box pins. One of the good metal and one of the cheap metal sockets in the fuse box should have 12V. Let us know what you find.

Old 06-26-2021, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda

How many pins are on the a/c relay? If there are 4 pins, two of the pins on the relay should be larger and better metal (like copper). The other 2 pins will be a cheaper alloy metal.

Hook your black lead on your volt meter to ground. Unplug the relay and start the car. Use the red volt meter lead to measure voltage on the relay box pins. One of the good metal and one of the cheap metal sockets in the fuse box should have 12V. Let us know what you find.
Allready done this pin 4 side at 3V, and pin 3 side at 12V. if i remember right. i have tested the relay, and it closes when given power.

was searching, and found this manual: https://cardiagn.com/hvac-08-10-accord/
at page 110 there is a climate troubleshooting page. how do i test if the condenser/radiator fans are Inoperative?

Old 06-26-2021, 08:01 AM
Question

Hey! i have tested this out, and there is no problem in the enginebay fusebox. I think it may be the pressureswitch causing these problems?

Old 06-26-2021, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

To be thorough, what are you using for your volt meter ground when testing?

Is the 3V pin in the fuse box supplying power to the good metal (load side) of the relay or the cheap metal (control side) of the relay?

Old 06-26-2021, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

The link in post#5 looks like the legit shop manual for your car, so that is a very good reference for troubleshooting. Maybe hard to navigate that large book, until you learn your way around it.

Old 06-26-2021, 08:06 PM

To be thorough, what are you using for your volt meter ground when testing?

Is the 3V pin in the fuse box supplying power to the good metal (load side) of the relay or the cheap metal (control side) of the relay?
i was measuring inside the fusebox, not on the relay. i also measured the voltage over the relay when a/c was turned on, and i measured 0V

Old 06-26-2021, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The link in post#5 looks like the legit shop manual for your car, so that is a very good reference for troubleshooting. Maybe hard to navigate that large book, until you learn your way around it.
yeah, i really struck gold :D as it looks now, it seems to be the pressure switch, but im not sure

Quick Reply: A/C commpressor relay not gettinng power