General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C Compressor not Working

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:12 PM
Default A/C Compressor not Working

hey guys,

i have a 2001 accord where the a/c compressor isn't turning on. all the fuses check out fine, so i'm guessing it's the relay. i have 3 relays that i'm confused on...there's a "Condenser Fan Relay", a "Cooling Fan Relay", and a "MG. Clutch Relay". i thought it could be the "MG Clutch Relay" as the compressor "clutch" isn't working, but i'm not sure. there's nothing in the owner's manual that states what the MG Clutch Relay does? the guys @ the parts store didn't know which relay it'd be either.

any of you folks know, or is there something else i'm not considering? i'm guessing it's charged; i just don't hear the compressor cycle on & off when i turn on the a/c.

thanks in advance for any help!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: A/C Compressor not Working

The two fan relays send power to the fans at the radiator. The cluch relay will control the a/c compressor clutch.

A quick check for the cluch relay would be to pull the connector that goes to the comopressor and see if you have power at the plug when you have the A/C switched on.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

You don't 'hear' the compressor -butyouCAN WATCH it to be absolutely sure. The outside of the drive pulley will freewheel on it's own hub when the AC is turned off. There's probably a triangle structure in the middle of the hub that will spin when the clutch engages.

There's a magnetic clutch inside that pulley. That's what the 'MG.Clutch Relay' name comesfrom.

There's also an AC system pressure switch somewhere. If there's not enough pressure in the AC refrigerant, that will prevent the system from switching on. You can check that by jumpering the wires on the switch, but only do that for a moment. You don't want to burn up your compressor by running it without refrigerant.

If it needs to be recharged, you'll want to find & fix the leak. Don't just fill it up & wait for it to leak back out.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:45 PM

thanks PAHonda & Jim...I'll check it out!