General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Default A/C Help

Hi all!

I'm new to forum but hope to use it as a resource for a couple small (hopefully) DIY projects.

Recently I swapped out my alternator in my 99 Accord which now works great, but in order to do so I disconnected what I now believe is the A/C hose to get it out. (not a good idea ) I'm not sure of the technical name but I pointed to it and the mechanic said "yep it was freon." I reattached it right away but immediately after the A/C stopped working.

So my main question is does it have to vacuumed out before it can be recharged (which I've heard isn't terribly hard and save the $200-300 from doing the alternator myself) because it was exposed to atmospheric elements?

Also is the vacuum something you can rent somewhere?

I appreciate any advice on the subject

Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It should not have to be vacuumed.... just get some freon and charge it..somewere under the hood there's the capacity on the system.

Mike Kozura

Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Kozura
It should not have to be vacuumed.... just get some freon and charge it..somewere under the hood there's the capacity on the system.

Mike Kozura

Guess he just wanted me to pony up a couple hundred bucks. He made it sound as if any exposure to air would bring moisture as well, and corrode it. And that would cost something like $3000 to fix. But it was literally less a minute.

Thanks for the input Mike.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Disagree w/ previous poster on vacuuming. If system is allowed to go to atmospheric pressure, you should replace the receiver/drier ($30) and vacuum for 1/2-3/4 hr to remove all moisture before charging through the low side.

You should also add 2 oz of pag oil (assuming that's whats in your system) to receiver/drier to replace that lost when you removed the hose and allowed system to explosively release.

I have heard you can rent a vacuum pump from Autozone but their website does not indicate this. Perhaps one of other auto parts.

You can buy your own AC manifold/gauge set and vacuum pump for around $150 from harbor freight and you're set for life for ac repair. AC repair is some of the easiest and most rewarding ($$) diy. I've been doing AC repair for 30 yrs now.

good luck

Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by mitchbill
Guess he just wanted me to pony up a couple hundred bucks. He made it sound as if any exposure to air would bring moisture as well, and corrode it. And that would cost something like $3000 to fix. But it was literally less a minute.

Thanks for the input Mike.
Your welcome..... Old Texas is right.....but I'll bet it'll be fine...were ya from I can lend you my air vac and guages....from Harbor Freight....lol

Mike Kozura

Old 07-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

I guess it depends on how the refrigerant leaked out. When you disconnected the A/C line, it comes blowing out of the disconnected fitting. Once it STOPS blowing out OF EITHER SIDE, then air is able to get in. Air getting in is the bad thing, it would hurt the cooling performance of your AC.

If you re-connected the fitting while it was still blowing out, it would have been difficult to get the fitting lined up & start the threads. The refrigerant still blowing out will freeze your fingers.

If you waited and re-connected the fitting after it quit blowing out, then you most likely got air into the system.