General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:51 PM
Default A/C not working

Hi all. 93 accord lx. I have no idea where togo beyond fuses. This car is pretty new to me (2mo) and I thought I tested the A/C. Well I guess I did turn it on when I was testdriving the car and it was ~40 outside, it was cold...'duh.

We had 65 degrees the other day and I tried the air. No cool. All fuses labeled A/C looked fine.Tempseemed as if its only vent air. I also feel no noticable pull on the engine when I turned it on as I'd expect.

Please give me some logical first steps and pretend Im a 5yo. I need basics.

Thanks for any assistance.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: A/C not working

Feel along the condenser line off the ac compressor.. is it cold and have condensation? If it's warm, chances are it's in need of a charge.

my $0.02

Old 02-13-2008, 03:53 PM

I not sure, however maybe 65 degrees still might be too cool to test A/C. I'm sure someone here can better anwser this for you.

I myself about two years ago had trouble with my A/C, in the summer I when turned on the A/C there was only warm air. I took car to the dealer and was told that I needed a new compressor. I passed on the repairs, and drove car the rest of summer without A/C.

The next season, I took car to Sears for new tires and mentioned my A/C trouble. I was surprised when they told me it was only the A/C temp. control **** inside car. Seems like the inside of **** was cracked, so when I was turning **** it was not turning the stem of A/C temp control.

So the first thing I would do is pull off **** and make sure it is not cracked. I was told that they tend to crack often, and they are very inexpensive at the Honda dealer. I used a needle nose plier to turn stem until I had a chance to get a new ****.

Hope your problem is just as simple, good luck!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely check the a/c control **** that hondafix mentioned.

You should check to see if the a/c clutch is engaging. Basically start your car up, and have someone turn on the A/C when its running. If you look at the outer edge of the compressor pulley, the plate (clutch) should not spin when the A/C is off. It should spin at the same rate with the pulley when the A/C is on.

Also check that both of the cooling fans turn on when the a/c is turned on.

Let us know what you find.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:49 PM

I have a 92 accord lx, and the AC doesn't work. The people i bought it from had the compressor replaced twice, and twice the compressor died after about 30,000 miles. The mechanic told them it was the location of the compressor, said it was getting hit by rocks, stones, and other debris kicked up while driving.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

Definitely check the a/c control **** that hondafix mentioned.

You should check to see if the a/c clutch is engaging. Basically start your car up, and have someone turn on the A/C when its running. If you look at the outer edge of the compressor pulley, the plate (clutch) should not spin when the A/C is off. It should spin at the same rate with the pulley when the A/C is on.

Also check that both of the cooling fans turn on when the a/c is turned on.

Let us know what you find.
Pulled the **** last night and unfortunately that is not the problem. Its in good shape and turning the stem. Will followup again upon next inspection.
Thanks.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ORIGINAL: jcocker03

I have a 92 accord lx, and the AC doesn't work. The people i bought it from had the compressor replaced twice, and twice the compressor died after about 30,000 miles. The mechanic told them it was the location of the compressor, said it was getting hit by rocks, stones, and other debris kicked up while driving.
Best to start your own thread.

BS from the mechanic about rocks and debris damaging compressor. Rocks can damage the condensor, but not the compressor.

If you have a question it helps to state the question for best response. Don't make us guess.

good luck