General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:30 PM
jj91honda
Unregistered
Default A/C Not Working

1991 EX - Took it in to dealer for diagnostic of ac. Spent $74 for them to tell me everything under hood is ok and they would need additional $275 to complete diagnostic on the inside (remove dash-I have had the dash out myself-this isn't that big of a job). Did not let them. Trying to figure it out myself. So... when the AC on button is depressed, nothing happens-the light on the button does not illuminate and the compressor clutch does not engage. I was trying to locate the fan timer unit, condensor fan relay and the a/c diode shown on the wiring diagrams.

Thanks,
Joe

Old 06-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

either you are not telling us exactly what they want to do or they want to rip you off big time...........What did they do for 74 dollars?? i would like to know what they diagnosed ,, (remove the dash) ?? for what ?? are you sure that they said they need to remove the dash ?? If they indeed said that they need to remove the dash RUN AWAY ASAP ......and this is a Honda dealer ?????

Old 06-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

$74 to ground one side of the pressure switch connection? Thats all you have to do to test everything underhood. [BLUE/black wire]
Fans and compressor clutch actuate. [key on]
I'd like to do that all day long. [insert BLING grin here ]
Have you checked the fuses, and you know there is freon in the system?
Jumpered the pressure switch connection? [w/key on]
Dash fuse panel fuse #2-15 amp and fuse #8-7.5 amp
Fuse #39-20amp and fuse #29-15amp underhood fuse panel ?
Location Location Location
diode pak,[black square] compressor clutch relay, [round] and condensor fan relay [round] are all on a bracket attached to the drivers side fender well behind the P/S fluid reservoir and the filler neck of the washer fluid.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:39 PM
jj91honda
Unregistered

Deserthonda-This IS a Honda Dealership-they told me that they had diagnosed the problem as far as they could (i.e. under the hood) and further diagnoses would be required by removing dash (to get a "complete A to Z" diagnoses of remaing ac components) and $275 (thats why I said no/ran away-I know its fairly simple to get the control switch out of the dash-I've done it before)-the dealership is telling me it is either a wiring connection or grounding problem under the dash.--yes I feel like they are trying to rip me off

hondadude-I failed to mention, all fuses are ok and it does have freon charge I don't know if it is correct amount (according to the dealer it has correct amount); I know where the press. switch relay is so now I'll check out the diode (I would have thought the dealership would have, because they left all of those items lose/out of their brackets.)

Old 06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

all that needs to be done is to remove the glove box, get access to the thermoswitch located in the evaporator.......it has 2 wires blue/red.,,,,,blue/yellow..........
turn a/c on,,key on,fan speed on, chk for ground at the blue/ red wire if there is ground,, chk for ground at the blue/yellow...........if no ground at blue/yellow and there was ground at blue/red you got a bad thermoswitch''''''

if no ground at blue/red .. could be a bad a/c switch, fan switch ( heater control panel assembly ) or broken wiring ,, also chk ground G402..located rt side under dash by kick panel.......

if no ground at blue/red, supply ground and see if system comes on,, if all works ok from the blue/red wire upward system should turn on ..

It sounds to me as if you got a bad ground issue,,,,,,,if it turns out to be the fan switch ,i am not sure that you can get it separate or need to buy the whole control panel ,

By the way ,,,,,,,,,, that dealer is full of crap,,,,,, $ 74 + $ 275 JUST to diagnose an inop a/c system ??? that is totally absurd ,, Like the Dude said ,, man i would do it all day, all week long . $ 349 for 1/2 hr of diagnostic work,, WOW...GET AWAY FROM THEM...

Old 06-26-2009, 09:44 AM
jj91honda
Unregistered

Both, the blue/red and blue/yellow, wires have no ground.

Last edited by jj91honda; 06-26-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:26 AM
jj91honda
Unregistered

With no ground at either location, does this mean the control switch and thermoswitch are bad?

Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 PM
jj91honda
Unregistered
Default Problem solved

Problem solved...bad a/c control switch-obtained the Honda manual from links provided in this forum and tested the switch-then replaced it.

Thank you both deserthonda and hondadude!!!