General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:29 AM
beerman
Unregistered
Default A/C not working

Hello, I am new to this site and appreciate any help. The a/c stopped working on my 94 Accord. I checked low pressure and it seemed fine. I then checked to see if the compressor was engaging, which it wasnt. I ran a jumper wire to make sure it engaged which it did. I then checked the relays and they worked. I jumped the low pressure switch and nothing came on, but when I grounded one of the wires the fan and clutch engaged. I then checked the ac thermostat and grounded the red/blue wire and nothing came on. But when I grounded the blue/yellow wire the ac worked. Is this a grounding issue, or a thermostat issue? If it is grounding, whats the best way to diagnose where the ground is broken?
Thanks for you help!

Old 08-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you almost did all the right diagnoses.......

chk to see if you are getting ground at the red/blue,,,,,,,,if you are ,,, you got a bad thrmostatic switch since it worked when u grounded the blue/yellow..,,,, but since u also grounded the red/blue and it did not work it tells me that you got at least a bad thermostatic switch ,, now you have to see if ground gets to the red/blue

if no ground at red/blue ,, could be a bad control panel or wiring from there to thermostatic switch,,,,,,,,

let us know,, if it needs a control panel i got a cheap fix for that that saves you money

Last edited by deserthonda; 08-01-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:09 PM
beerman
Unregistered

Thank you for the quick reply! As soon as I finish work I will get back at it and see if the ac thermostat is bad. I did some checking and it doesn't appear that local parts stores carry this, is there any way of getting a new ac thermostat quickly?

Old 08-01-2009, 04:27 PM

get it from the dealer..i would not use after market

Old 08-01-2009, 10:01 PM
beerman
Unregistered

Once again, thank you for the quick reply. I checked and I have a good ground going into the switch, so I just need to replace it. Is there any little tips that I should know about when trying to replace it? Does one have to pull everything out or can you just take out a few screws and pull out the switch? Thanks again.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:21 AM

you need to remove the evap to replace the thermo switch...
you need to evac + then recharge system, for that you need an a/c machine or gauge set and a vacuum pump ......
once empty, vacc system for about 20-30 minutes then add 21-22 oz r-134a freon