General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:14 PM
jgoodson1960
Unregistered
Default A/C not working

I have a 93 Accord that I bought recently. When I test drove the car, the air condition seemed to work just fine......very cold air came out thru the vents (although it was a very cold day). Today I was driving and turned on the air conditioner and just vent air was brought into the car. The green A/C light illuminated on the button. When I got home, I turned the button on and off and did not feel the car bog a little as most cars do when the compressor turns on.....also the cooling fans did not automatically turn on.....like they do in some cars but not sure if they automatically turn on for an Accord when the A/C is turned on. So, I am thinking it is probably a problem with the compressor getting a signal from the switch to turn on. I checked the fuse inside the fuse box inside the car and it appeard fine. Any suggestions from anyone as what I should check from here. Jabe

Old 02-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Default RE: A/C not working

you are correct in assuming that both fans should come on with the a/c on, if the fuses are okay I'd check to see if you are getting power to the compressor when the button is clicked on, if so it may be a problem with the compressor that can be diagnosed further, if not then might be the switch.... you may also have fuse under the hood that needs checked....

Old 02-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

The compressor and fans will not come on if the freon pressure is low.
A quick check is to unplug the pressure switch,it is located just in front of the power steering pump area, on a small tube. While you are there look for oil in the pressure switch housing. They are known to leak.
Then jumper that plug with a small wire and try turning on the A/C again [engine running] If the car is low on freon the compressor clutch will engage and the fans will run as long as the switch plug is jumpered.
If you have the system recharged, be sure to replace the oil and put in flourescent dye; The freon leaked out somewhere and the oil goes with the freon, having the dye will make the leak easier to find.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 PM

I agree with honda dude, there is a possibility that there is a freon leak somewhere, check your hoses for dye, ( color black) to and from the compressor,

Bring it to a deal and let them conduct afreon pressure check.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:16 AM
jgoodson1960
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice. I will try to jump the switch and verify if the compressor will engage or not. Jabe

Old 02-08-2007, 11:54 AM

AC problems? Come to where I live...its -10 F right now

Old 02-08-2007, 12:35 PM
jgoodson1960
Unregistered

It was about 65 here in Atlanta yesterday....but the sun was so bright it was heating the passenger compartment so much that I wanted to cool off.....but I had to suffer thru it since the A/C wouldn't work. Jabe

Old 04-01-2008, 06:48 PM

Thanks guys. I have a '91 Accord LX that thistroubleshooting technique worked on. Glad to find out that I was only low on Freon.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: hondadude

The compressor and fans will not come on if the freon pressure is low.
A quick check is to unplug the pressure switch,it is located just in front of the power steering pump area, on a small tube.
Hey jgoodson. Sounds like my problem as well. No pull on the engine when the AC is switched on. I had it fixed just this past weekend. The switch hondadude mentioned above has 2 wires leading to it. On mine one wasbroken. So the systemnever turned on.I had some new clips soldered on to those wires, reattached andit did turn on. In my car I had to havethe systempumped outand recharged. Nowfixed.

Good luck.