General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

a/c only blows cool air PLEASE HELP

Old 06-28-2009, 06:34 PM
74joe74
Unregistered
Default a/c only blows cool air PLEASE HELP

I have a 1994 accord lx and the a/c will only blow cool. Both fans will run,compresser comes on and clutch spins just as fast , 42psi on lowside and full of refidgerant, heater core valve opens and closes, and no leaks to be found. Please any info would be gladly appreciated.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I am doing a little diagnosing with the AC on my 97 Accord not blowing very cold also. I am only running 25 psi on my low side.

Have you felt the low pressure line going into the firewall to see if it is cold to the touch.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you're absolutely sure the refrigerant charge is full (23 oz), the expansion valve in the evaporator housing must be replaced. The expansion valve should close to raise high side pressure and lower low side pressure. You should measure high side before doing this to confirm high side is adequate. I can't be sure w/o high side but bad expansion valve sounds likely.

It's not too hard to pull the evaporator housing, but does require discharge of system. A shop manual is essential to find all the retaining bolts/nuts on the evaporator housing. Download from the Online Manuals link in DIY faq's.

good luck

Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 PM
74joe74
Unregistered

Trying to get a gauge to get the high side merasured,but everywhere I call says they dont have it (autozone,advanced,etc.) Low side is cold to touch from compresser all the way to firewall, high side seems to be warm/hot?

Old 06-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

I bought an a/c manifold at advance auto parts for ~$70. It will read both high and low pressures.

Its a bit pricey, but will save you after one use when you can diagnose and repair your a/c system, because a/c repair is expensive.

Last edited by PAhonda; 06-28-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:29 PM
74joe74
Unregistered

called advanced but WOMAN said they didnt have anything like that??? Will just go there tomorrow and post results. Thanks for info, by the way reading all your guys info on different threads, has helped with several problems I have had. You guys on here need to be commended for all the free info that you give, let alone all the money you save people. From all the people with honda problems THANKS

Old 06-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

They have the gauge on their site for $44.

http://tinyurl.com/l5rtaq

The hoses don't come with it. I think the hoses are the $23 part on there.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:07 PM
74joe74
Unregistered

havent made it to get the gauge yet, but ac seems to blow alittle cooler while on hwy?? Now I have a new more serios problem. Im over heating now. I bought car 4 days ago and first thing I did was replace the thermostat and flush system. I put stock 170 temp themo in it that was bought from advanced auto. I really dont think it is working. Overheats twice as quick with ac on (both fans are still running). While over heating checked both radiator hoses and they both seem hard and hot and for some reason radiator fan stayed on when I shut the car off?? Dont know if it makes a difference, but it looks like my water pump pully wobbles abit.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Avoid driving the car until you get the overheating fixed.

You shouldn't be able to see the water pump pulley, because it should be under the timing belt cover. You probably see the power steering pump.

You may want to clean the outside of the a/c condenser and radiator. If there is a ton of crap plugged up in there, air flow will be decreased and cause a/c and cooling problems. Use garden hose with low/medium water pressure, because you could bend the fins on the radiator.

Most people suggest to buy the thermostat from the dealership. A clogged radiator could also cause your problems. How much crap came out when you originally drained the coolant? I would run some of the acid flush you can pick up at the parts stores to remove any possible scale in the system.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:50 PM
74joe74
Unregistered

Yes I am a dumb a**, that was my power steering pump. Dont worry will not be driving till overheating issue is fixed. When drained coolant it didnt look bad at all, and I did use radiator cleaned/flush. A/C compresser looks clean along with radiator. Was told to take the thermo out and put in boiling water to see if it is opening (anyone hear of that)?

also hear is a list of things I did to car the day I got it.
1- drained,flushed and filled radiator with new coolant
2-cleaned egr ports, egr valve, iacv, fuel injectors,and throttle body
3-flushed and changed oil, added lucas
4-new plugs (ngk)
5-added refidgerant/oil/leak detecter to a/c

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: a/c only blows cool air PLEASE HELP