General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C and questionable mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 10:03 AM
east302
Unregistered
Default A/C and questionable mechanic

Hey,

First post here and I need your opinion before I raise a stink with Honda.

I was talking with my mother who's in her sixties and lives in MS (I'm in GA) who recently took her 2005 Accord LX 4-cyl. to the dealership as the air had stopped cooling. She probably has around 15,000 miles on the car. Apparently the mechanic came back and said that there was "a hole in the compressor" probably caused by a rock from the road. The factory warranty would not cover it.

I asked if she saw the part, she said no, but had it fixed and went on her way. This was probably two months ago.

I drive a Tahoe so I'm not that familiar with the Accord, but I've never heard of a rock coming up off the road and putting a hole in a compressor. I haven't spoken with the dealership in question (again, I'm two states away) but wanted to get some opinions from you guys first. Though it's impossible to verify the damage at this point, do you think this could have really happened?

I appreciate the help,
Scott

Old 06-30-2006, 10:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: A/C and questionable mechanic

tell the dealer he is full of it. This is just a cheap ploy to try and not fix the car. If you can get your mom's car and take it to another dealer

Old 06-30-2006, 11:19 AM

What was the name of the dealership she took it to? I live in Mississippi and I have a '96 EX and an '03 EX-V6... I would like to know so I can steer clear of them. That's the most asinine thing I've ever heard...

Old 06-30-2006, 12:08 PM

That is one big shovel load of crap. I hope you can get some justice here. Please post the name of the dealership so no one on this board will do business with them.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Bobby W
Unregistered

Uh---- your mother got took.
15,000 miles it would have been WARRANTY WORK and if it was my mother I would call the SERVICE MANAGER and ask him if his Dealership makes it a habit to STEAL from its customers.Then if he did not satisfy your need for an EXPLANATION I would talk to the General MGR of the Dealership and advise him you will be posting here and contacting the better buisness Beureu <sp>
No excuse for that kind of service if you can even call it SERVICE.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:35 PM

get on a plane and to to that dealership and talk to manager, general manager, owner,, DEMAND your money back ,, if they will not ,, GET A LAWYER .....SUE THEIR BUTTS
IN MY OPINION THERE IS NO WAY a rock can fly up from uinderneath and put a hole in the compressor ,,

DEaler should have fixed it totally under warranty........

Old 06-30-2006, 12:55 PM

You can also call the Attorney General's Office (Consumer Affairs Division) and talk to them about it. Then let the GM at the dealership know that you have. They don't want that kind of headache.

Just for clarification, though... if she's anything like my mother... is it possible she mistakenly thought "condensor" was "compressor"? Regardless, it should have been covered under warranty, but I could see where it might have been a more valid diagnosis if it was actually the condensor...

Old 06-30-2006, 02:18 PM
east302
Unregistered

Hey, thanks for the quick replies!

I had a feeling something wasn't right there, but just wasn't sure if maybe Honda had some screwy vulnerable design.

The dealership was Usry something or other...I think it's on Hwy 80 in Brandon outside of Jackson. There used to be just Patty Peck and Paul Moak on State Street but I guess this is a new one.

I'll talk to her tonight and get her to read off exactly what it says on the service receipt. I, too, wondered if it may have been the condenser and not the compressor that was replaced. Regardless, they had to order the part so it's obviously not a common repair that they see.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:15 PM

Rogers Usry is the newest Honda dealership here. Any warranty work I've had done on my '03 has been done at Paul Moak. I live in Madison and work downtown so I usually just drop it off on my way to work if I have to. I would definitely look into this deeper if I were you... let us know what you find out and what happens...

Old 06-30-2006, 08:04 PM

I could see a large rock getting kicked up, cracking the compressor. It would be a rare occurance though. Could it have been the condensor? We get them in all the time with road damage. Honda will not cover them.

Quick Reply: A/C and questionable mechanic