General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can anyone tell if the fender/door was replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Default can anyone tell if the fender/door was replaced?

Hello all. I am looking to buy an accord and looking at pics, the door seems like it doesnt exactly fit, but it could very well be my imagination as i am far from an expert. does it look like the fender or door has been replaced on this 00' accord? thanks!

Name:  leftside.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  82.6 KB

Old 02-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: can anyone tell if the fender/door was replaced?

Look on the inside of the door jamb where the hinge is.. most honda reman. doors have some nasty welding jobs done on them that can only be seen on the inside... another clue is where the door matches up to the fender if it's not a perfect transition it's a guarantee they replaced at least the door...

i've had both my doors replaced, and it's actually pretty easy to tell if you rub your hand across the door/fender area and/or you look on the inside where it hinges... i'll take a pic tonight if i can remember..

Old 02-22-2008, 04:56 PM
pwr

Honda makes this very easy to check. You'll find the car's VIN printed on all of the car's replaceable panels if it's original sheetmetal. Check the underside of the hood, the top of both fenders under the hood, inside the doors, and inside the trunklid.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:48 PM

thanks for the replies. the guy actually admitted the fender was replaced(after i asked him). the fact that it doesnt totally "fit" properly might bother me a little, though i have yet to see the car in person. we kind of have a price we were talking about, how much do u think would devalue the car? thanks

Old 02-22-2008, 06:28 PM

Does it have a salvaged title?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:41 PM

not a salvage its clean, 1 accident. supposedly the fender was replaced cuz there was a "smudge" on it.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Since late 1990s they've put VIN stickers or stamps in the body parts. A replaced door or fender won't have the VIN.

OTOH, some body shops will replace a front fender easily, just because it can be easier (cheaper) than straightening the bent one.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:13 PM

would i be able to replace the fender with one that fits perfect?

Old 02-23-2008, 03:19 PM

Most likely that fender does fit it just wasn't adjusted 100% perfectly (which is very difficult to do...) chances are you'll never notice it in person and neither will anyone else, if it bothers you call a local body shop with the picture and ask what they think and what they'd charge to adjust it.

Also, previous body damage that is virtually no longer visible doesn't really devalue a car unless the paint doesn't match or it was a really bad repair job or the frame was damaged.

Example: if the roof on your house caved in, then you repaired it so it was virtually impossible to tell there was ever and issue a home inspector wouldn't devalue the house at all since it's in good clean working order.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: BrooklynAccord

would i be able to replace the fender with one that fits perfect?
A fender that isn't bolted in place is more floppy than you may realize. It's all about alignment during installation.

Quick Reply: can anyone tell if the fender/door was replaced?