General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can someone tell me where the ECU grounds are?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Can someone tell me where the ECU grounds are?

I'm having ecu grounding issues. main relay isn't getting grounded by ecu nor are the fuel injectors. Any ideas as to what it could be? I was going to clean up the grounds to the ECU...

Old 07-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like G101 is the ground for the ECU. Here is where it gets tricky. The online manuals thread has a shop manual for 98-00 accords, but it covers non-US accords. You can download that file from the online manuals link I put in the DIY index on top of this forum.

The location of G101 on those accords is in the engine bay, driver's side. The picture is hard to figure out. It is either on the cylinder head or below the brake booster.

Can you tell us the problems that you are having, and how you are testing them? Have you checked for engine codes?

Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
It looks like G101 is the ground for the ECU. Here is where it gets tricky. The online manuals thread has a shop manual for 98-00 accords, but it covers non-US accords. You can download that file from the online manuals link I put in the DIY index on top of this forum.

The location of G101 on those accords is in the engine bay, driver's side. The picture is hard to figure out. It is either on the cylinder head or below the brake booster.

Can you tell us the problems that you are having, and how you are testing them? Have you checked for engine codes?
Sweet! Just the guy I was looking for..Ok i'll try to make it as short and concise as possible.

the car was parked over the winter in a back yard covered. 9 months total. I live in central ny. the car drove there fine. I go to start it a week ago and nothing. checked the fuel pump connector..no power. ground was good. checked the relay..the f/p side not clicking. the other side was. spark was good and as far as i knew..injectors were good. benched the relay and it wouldnt click off my battery so i bought a new one. put it in and still f/p side no click. I ran a ground wire to the f/p side and it clicked. now my f/p was functioning. I tried to start it thinking i was golden but no luck. I then checked for power at my injectors and none at all. and while cranking...nothing. ecu controls grounding the f/p side of the main relay and also pulsing of the injectors. thats where i left off as my headache grew from light to a full blown migrane. thinking to keep trying as many no cost checks as i can. I forgot to check the power wire coming from the fuse to the f/i iac side of the relay. doing that tomorrow and checking wires from the relay to the injectors but what about this grounding problem from the ecu...*siiiiiigh*

Old 07-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Check for power at each injector. The main fuel relay sends power to all four injectors when the key is in the II position. Check for 12V to ground (valve cover bolt) on the wire that is the same color between all four of them.

It sounds like power is missing somewhere. I would check the fuses. I believe there are three fuse boxes in your car (driver's, passenger's, and engine bay). Check your owner's manual

Definitely check for power at the main relay. Different wires will get power when you turn the key from I, II, and Start. That is why I suggested that you download the manual, so you will have the proper wire colors to test.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Check for power at each injector. The main fuel relay sends power to all four injectors when the key is in the II position. Check for 12V to ground (valve cover bolt) on the wire that is the same color between all four of them.

It sounds like power is missing somewhere. I would check the fuses. I believe there are three fuse boxes in your car (driver's, passenger's, and engine bay). Check your owner's manual

Definitely check for power at the main relay. Different wires will get power when you turn the key from I, II, and Start. That is why I suggested that you download the manual, so you will have the proper wire colors to test.
I was able to find this diagram from autozone.com it's a pretty good resource actually. I'm going to go do a bunch of tests tomorrow hopefully i can figure it out. Unfortunately, the car is not at my home I wish it were.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I cant seem to find the #46 fuse. It doesnt match with my owners manual. I figured it was the f/i fuse. i checked it once and it was good but i also did blow the f/p fuse after installing the new relay. I really gotta go check things tomorrow. I'll do all the f/i wire checks and the ground wire. I'm sure i'll be checking a couple more things as well. thanks for the direction PA. I'm going to check out the shop manual you posted. I'll get back with updates...

Old 07-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I'm definitely not getting any power to my w&g wire/main relay connector. It says it should be hot at all times according to the diagram I have. As far as fuse 46, the only one I can find remotely close is one called IG coil. Its in the same driver's side box as the f/p fuse. Its also a 15A and its really the only one i can see being it. It had power with the key in the run position. but none otherwise. and thats not hot at all times. but none the less...my relay is not getting 12 volts to give the ecu for my injectors. does anyone others accords have a fuel injector fuse? what should i look for? I'm at a loss.

I also checked the ground wires near the brake master cylinder to the body. everything read 12v there. cleaned it up a bit anyway. I think i know where the thermostat housing is but I dont see any grounds there. Where exactly is the thermostat housing? Still have reason to believe that the ecu is not grounding the f/p side of the relay...

Old 07-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

I'm looking at my 95 manual. The white/green fuse is a 15 amp fuse for the ECU (PCM).

Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm looking at my 95 manual. The white/green fuse is a 15 amp fuse for the ECU (PCM).
Sir yes sir..I checked that one too. that was the same senario. It was'nt hot all the time but it was when the key was to the run position. someone on another accord forum mentioned a fuse 46 under the hood and said an immobilizer system??? Have you heard of such a thing?

Old 07-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

This link shows the #46 fuse, which is shown as the #6 fuse shown in the owner's manual.

2carpros.com/questions/honda-accord-1998-honda-accord-no-fuel

Quick Reply: Can someone tell me where the ECU grounds are?