General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot get car to start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Default Cannot get car to start.

95 ex 4 cylinder
So car is not starting when in start position. No click from starter/ cranking, or nothing. All lights are on and fuel pump primes like normal.

Things I have troubleshooted:

Swapped starter with known working starter.

Checked for 12v at starter signal on starter with multi-meter and nothing.

Checked 7.5 amp fuse and it is good. Swapped fuse just in case.

Took ignition covers off at steering wheel and placed in run position while probing black/white starter wire: 12v present.

Removed 7.5 amp fuse and placed multi-meter in its place and 12volts is present.

Unhooked alarm and same thing. Seems the issue lies between the fuse box to starter signal wire.

Jumped starter signal terminal to battery and it starts with no issues.

Everything else is working w/o a problem. Just won't start or crank.

Is there anything that I am missing?
Anyone seen this issue before?

Old 04-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Ignition switch assy (electrical) needs to be replaced. Easy job.

Check youtube for videos and DIY forum for procedure.

good luck

Old 04-22-2014, 03:08 PM

Thanks for responding. Would that still be the case even if I probe the black/white wire leaving the ignition switch for the starter signal and 12v is present when in the start position?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you get a start signal (12v) when key is turned to Start position, and goes to 0V when switch is released to On, then ignition switch is OK.

However, since you are not getting start signal on blk/wht at the starter solenoid, this indicates blk/wht wire circuit is open somewhere; wire fault or connector.

good luck

Old 04-22-2014, 07:14 PM

Can really only be two things now. Clutch switch broke off, or the starter relay is bad.

If you have an auto, then the neutral safety switch.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 PM

Forgot to mention this is a 5-speed and I also jumped the clutch switch and still wouldn't start.

I ran a same gauge wire from the fusebox-to-terminal on the starter and it started w/o any issue. So yes, there is a open somewhere.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Ahh, a friend from TN

As stated, I'd test the inputs/outputs of the starter relay to be sure.

I see that you have an alarm system - or had - you might want to recheck it and the wires.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Ahh, a friend from TN

As stated, I'd test the inputs/outputs of the starter relay to be sure.

I see that you have an alarm system - or had - you might want to recheck it and the wires.
Where would the starter relay be located? I searched and couldn't find it or if it has one.

I unhooked the alarm and the the starter disable also and bypassed it and still no start condition was present?

Old 04-24-2014, 02:55 AM

It's very rare for the starter relay to go bad. On 4th gens it's on the driver side just behind the dash on the side. I would think this would more likely be alarm-related ignition-kill since you have an alarm but someone else might be able to chime in as to exactly where your starter relay is.

You could take it to an alarm shop and pay them $40 or so to try to trouble shoot it, assuming you don't know who originally installed it.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:10 AM

I installed the alarm and also disabled it. The only kill I had on the alarm was the starter disable which was located before the starter in the engine bay. It has been removed when troubleshooting and same thing, will not start. I install stealth alarms, so bypassing my alarm or disabling it is pretty easy for me. Would the relay be located on the fuse panel inside the car? I looked at a couple of wiring diagrams and it didn't mention a starter relay on the panel. This is puzzling because 12v seems to be present at the fuse box, but not leaving the fuse box.

Last edited by djkurious; 04-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Cannot get car to start.